- Associate Professor of Materials Science & Engineering
- Adjunct Associate Professor of Chemistry
319 Roberts Hall
|Web:||Luscombe Research Group|
Ph.D., Department of Chemistry, University of Cambridge, 2005
M.S., Trinity College, University of Cambridge, 2000
Molecular self-assembly is a powerful tool for creating novel nanometer scale architectures. Nature uses self-assembly to organize simple components into well-defined, 3D, functional structures. In recent years, much progress has been made in creating nanometer scale patterns using the bottom-up approach inspired by nature. The goal of the research in the group is to utilize and expand the current knowledge of self-assembly processes in the development of functional molecules with novel electronic and photonic properties. Our research involves the design and synthesis of functional molecules, which range from well-defined macromolecules to polymers. We are also interested in the ability of the materials to self-assemble and to be used in a variety of applications including, organic thin film transistors, organic photovoltaic devices, and chemical and biological sensors. The work performed in the group is multidisciplinary, involving organic and polymer synthesis, materials science and engineering, physics, and electrical engineering.
- Chang, J. B.; Liu, V.; Subramanian, V.; Sivula, K.; Luscombe, C.; Murphy, A.; Liu, J; Frchet, J. M. J. Printable polythiophene gas sensor array for low-cost electronic noses. J. Appl. Phys. 2006, 100, 014506.
- Liu, Y.; Scully, S. R.; McGehee, M. D.; Liu, J; Luscombe, C. K.; Frchet, J. M. J.; Shaheen, S. E.; Ginley, D. Dependence of Band Offset and Open Circuit Voltage on the Interfacial Interaction Between TiO2 and Carboxylated Polythiophenes. J. Phys. Chem. B. 2006, 110, 3257.
- Murphy, A. R.; Liu, J.; Luscombe, C. K.; Kavulak, D.; Frchet, J. M. J.; Kline, J.; McGehee, M. D. Synthesis, Characterization, and Field-Effect Transistor Performance of Carboxylate Functionalized Polythiophenes with Increased Air Stability. Chem. Mater., 2005, 17, 4892.
- Muir, B. V. O.; Luscombe, C. K.; Huck, W. T. S. Formation of Nanostructured Polymers. in Encyclopedia of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology. Editor-in-chief: Nalwa, H. S.; American Scientific Publishers, 2004, 3, 497.
- Luscombe, C. K.; Li, H.-W.; Huck, W. T. S.; Holmes, A. B. Fluorinated Silane SAMs as Resists for Patterning ITO. Langmuir, 2003, 19, 5273.
- Luscombe, C. K.; Huck, W. T. S.; Holmes, A. B.; Lu, T.; Leeke, G. A.; Santos, R. C. D.; Al-Duri, B.; Seville, J. P. K. Patterned Deposition from Compressed Carbon Dioxide. MRS Symp. Proc., 2002, 734, 103.
- Kiyota, H.; Dixon, D. J.; Luscombe, C. K.; Hettstedt, S.; Ley, S. V. Synthesis, Structure Revision, and Absolute Configuration of (+)-Didemniserinolipid B, a Serinol Marine Natural Product from a Tunicate Didemnum sp. Org. Lett., 2002, 4, 3223.
- Huck, W. T. S.; Holmes, A. B. H.; Luscombe, C. K.; Fukushima, H.; Nebashi, S.; Ishida, M. Fabrication of self-assembled dendron monolayers. 2004, GB 0415243.5.
- Holmes, A. B.; Huck, W. T. S.; Luscombe, C. K. Patterned Substrates. 2004, WO2004008250.
- Holmes, A. B.; Lu, T.; Santos, R.; Al-Duri, B.; Leeke, G.; Huck, W. T. S.; Luscombe, C. K.; Seville, J.; Gaspar, F. Patterned Deposition Using Compressed Carbon Dioxide. 2004, US2004052944.
- Holmes, A. B.; Huck, W. T. S.; Luscombe, C. K.; Fukushima, H.; Ishida, M.; Miyashita, S. Fabrication of self-assembled monolayers. 2002, US2002197879.
UW Department of Materials Science & Engineering
phone: (206) 543-2600
fax: (206) 543-3100