Y. K. Rao
- Professor of Materials Science & Engineering
|Office:||302K Roberts Hall|
Andhra Loyola College, Vijayawada, India, I.A.Sc., 1958
Metallurgical Engineering, Banaras Hindu University, B. Sc., 1962
Metallurgical Engineering, University of Pennsylvania, Ph.D., 1965
Professional Activities And Membership
Reviewer for: International Science Foundation; National Science Foundation; Journal of Applied Physics, Applied Physics Letters; Iranian Journal of Science & Technology; Therm. Acta;
Metallurgical and Materials Transactions; Minerals and Metallurgical Processing; Colloids and Surfaces; Journal of the Electrochemical Society; and the Institution of Mining and Metallurgy (Transactions: Minerals Processing & Extr. Met.).
Participated in the XV CMMI Congress, Sun City, South Africa, 1994.Member of: American Chemical Society, South African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, The Institution of Mining and Metallurgy (U.K.), The Indian Institute of Metals
Coal Utilization in Metallurgical Smelters: Corex and Blast-Furnace Processes.
Steady-state in High-Temperature Systems : Prediction of Virtual Equilibrium Rates.
IECMQ: A Computer Program for Calculating Equilibrium in Ca-O-H-C-Cl-S-N(aq) System.
- 1980 - Present Professor of Metallurgical Engineering, University of Washington, Seattle
- 1983 Visiting Honorary Professor, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, B.C., Spring term
- 1976 - 1980 Associate Professor of Metallurgical Engineering, University of Washington, Seattle
- 1972 - 1976 Associate Professor of Mineral Engineering, Henry Krumb School of Mines, Columbia University, New York
- 1973 Visiting Professor, Max-Planck-Institut fur Eisenforschung, Dusseldorf, West Germany, Fall term.
- 1968 - 1972 Assistant Professor of Mineral Engineering, Henry Krumb School of Mines, Columbia University, New York
- 1967 - 1968 Research Metallurgist, Corning Glass Works, Corning, NY. Member of the Fused Refractories Research and Development Group
- 1965 - 1967 Research Engineer, Inland Steel Co., East Chicago, IN. Member of Raw Materials, Iron and Steelmaking Group.
- Chemical Vapour Deposition of CuInTe2(s): Cu-In-Te-He-I System, Y.K. Rao, Proceedings of EMC 2005, 873-887 (2005).
- Modeling of Silicon Vapor Phase Epitaxy Using Stefan-Maxwell Formalism, R. Rajagopal and Y.K. Rao, Mtls Trans, Vol. 45, No. 7, 2395-2402 (2004).
- Kinetics of Reduction of Nickel Oxide with Helium-hydrogen Gas Mixtures in the Range 300-400 C, Y.K. Rao & A.H. Rashed, Trans. of Inst. of Mining and Metall, vol.110, C1-6 (reprinted from Mineral Proc and Extractive Metall, Jan-Apr 2001).
- IECMQ: A Computer Program for Calculating Equilibrium-state in Aqueous Systems, Y.K. Rao, Marine Chemistry, in press (2000).
- Equilibria in the Desulfurization of Flue-gases Using Aqueous Lime Suspension, Y.K. Rao, Intl. Symp. on Environmental Mgmt. of Mining & Metallurgical Industries, P.K. Jena (ed.) (1998).
- Modelling of Sulfur-capture from Lean Off-gasses at High Temperatures, Y.K. Rao, Environment & Innovation in Mining and Mineral Technology, M.A. Sanchez, F. Vergara and S.H. Castro (eds.), pp. 625-636 (1998).
- Iterative Method for Computation of Equilibrium in the Flue-Gas/Aqueous Solvent Systems, Y.K. Rao, 8th Nat'l Mtg of South African Inst. of Chemical Engineers (1997).
- Modelling of Iron Oxide Reduction: Coupled Mass-Transfer and Virtual Equilibrium, Y.K. Rao and P. Pichestapong, Proc. of 9th Int. Conf. on High Temperature Materials Chemistry, K.E. Spear (ed.), Electrochemical Society, pp. 211-218 (1997).
- Modelling of the Corex (smelting reduction) Hot Metal Process, Y.K. Rao and P. Pichestapong, Proc. of Intl. Symp. on Challenges in Process Intensification at 34th annual Conf. of Metallurgists of CIM, C.A. Pickles, P.J. Hancock and J.R. Wynnckyj (eds) (1996).
- Kinetics of Reduction of Nickel Oxide with Hydrogen Gas at Modest Temperatures, A.H. Rashed and Y.K. Rao, Chem. Eng. Comm., vol. 156, 1-30 (1996).
- Chemical Vapor Transport at Quasi-Steady-State in Closed Systems, C.H. Raeder and Y.K. Rao, Journal of Materials Synthesis and Processing, vol. 3, 49-68 (1995).
- Modelling of the Pyrometallurgical Growing of Sphalerite Crystals in a Closed Tube Reactor, Y.K. Rao, VIII-th International Conference on High Temperature Materials chemistry, Technical University, Vienna, Austria, April 4-9, 1994, High Temp. Mater. Sci., vol. 34, 293-342 (1995).
- Rate of Nitrogen Desorption form Molten Iron-Chromium-Sulfur Alloys, Y.K. Rao and W.D. Cho, Ironmaking Steelmaking, vol. 22, 239-245 (1995)
- Chemical Vapor Transport Processes in Nickel Segregation, Y.K. Rao, Trans. Indian Inst.Metals, vol. 47,31-51 (1994).
- Modelling of the Midrex Direct Reduction Ironmaking Process; Mass-Transfer and Virtual Equilibrium at Steady-State, Y.K. Rao and P. Pichestapong, Fifteenth Congress of the Council of Mining and Metallurgical Institutions, 4-8 Sept. 1994, Sun City Complex, South Africa. Metals Technology, SAIMM, vol. 2, pp. 81-92 (1994).
- Diffusion and Equilibrium in Vapometallurgical Refining of Nickel, Extractive Metallurgy of Copper, Nickel, and Cobalt, vol. I: Fundamental Aspects, Y.K. Rao, Proceedings of the Paul E. Queneau International Symposium, eds., R.G. Reddy and R.N. Weizenbach, The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society, Warrendale, Pennsylvania, pp. 17-40 (1993).
- Direct Reduction of PbS with C and CaO; Thermodynamics and Kinetics, S.K. El-Rahaiby, H.G. Lee and Y.K. Rao, Australasian Inst. Metall. Bulletin and Proceedings, pp. 37-47 (1991).
- CaO-Enhanced Reduction of Cooper (I) Sulphide, Y.K. Rao and M. Moinpour, Pyrometallurgy and Recycling, vol. IV, Proceedings of the COPPER 91-COBRE 91 International Symposium, The Metallurgical Society of CIM, Ottawa, Canada, pp. 425-443 (1991).
- A Study of the Copper-Segregation Process by Modulated Mass-Transport, Y. Do and Y.K. Rao, Proceedings of the H.H. Kellogg International Symposium on Quantitative Description of Metal Extraction Processes, ed. N.J. Themelis and P.F. Duby, The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society, Warrendale, Pennsylvania, pp. 145-178 (1991).
- Metamorphic Mineral Equilibria, Neues Jahrbuch fr Mineralogie, vol. 7, 309-319 (1990).
- Rate of Nitrogen Absorption in Molten Fe-Cr Alloys: Part 1. Experimental, W.D. Cho and Y.K. Rao, Ironmaking Steelmaking, vol. 17, 261-272, 1990.
- Rate of Nitrogen Absorption in Molten Fe-Cr Alloys: Part 2. Mathematical Model, W.D. Cho and Y.K. Rao, Ironmaking Steelmaking, vol. 17, 273-281, 1990.
- Modeling of Chemical Vapor Deposition (or Etching) in Closed Systems, Yang Do and Y.K. Rao, High Temp. Sci., vol. 27, 159-172, 1988/1989.
UW Department of Materials Science & Engineering
phone: (206) 543-2600
fax: (206) 543-3100