UW Event Calendar Help
As of June 2013, UW has moved its central UW Calendar of Events for all campus public events and departmental calendars (including academic, schools, colleges, and other groups) to a new calendaring system called Trumba. It provides a better mobile experience, an improved user interface, event registration, and the ability to embed calendars into Web sites. Also, an event created in one calendar can appear in multiple calendars.
View a Trumba Overview Video
To view a recording of the Trumba Editor training that was offered in June, go here: https://tegr.it/y/17min. This video presents an overview of the basics of the Trumba system, adding and editing events, and sharing events from your departmental calendar to the UW Campus Event calendar. We will be posting short videos about specific tasks in the coming weeks.
Adding and Editing Events
Repeating, Recurring, and Multi-Day Events
Importing and Exporting Calendar Info
Adding and Editing Events
If you are an authorized event editor, go to http://www.washington.edu/calendar/trumba and you will be taken to your departmental calendar. If you are not authorized as a calendar editor, you will see an error message.
If your department or unit has a calendar on the Trumba system, ask your departmental or unit administrator to give you access.
The Add Event form guides you through what to add, but here are some helpful tips.
- The Description field is where you enter the event title. This field must be populated in order to post an event. You will want to keep the description short.
- The Notes field is for the event description, anything that you want attendees to know about the event.
- Editor Notes is for items that will appear only to you and other authorized editors in your group.
- Campus location: As you begin typing a building name, the form will auto-complete the name, which you can then select. All campus buildings are available on their respective calendars. In addition to the campus building, use the Campus room field to add a room number and any special directions that will help people find the event. To add a map link or GPS coordinates, click Switch to location.
To request a calendar for your unit or department, please fill out and submit this WebQ: https://catalyst.uw.edu/webq/survey/eventcal/206708
How do events work in Trumba?
How do I cancel an event?
How do I add an image to my event?
In the Add an Event screen, on the right side of the screen, find the list of calendars below Also Shows On. Select the appropriate check boxes for the calendars with which you want to share the event. For more information about showing events on another calendar, see http://www.trumba.com/help/alsoshow_mixins.aspx
- In the calendar edit view, above the colored banner with the calendar name, (e.g., UW Seattle Campus Events), look for text that says Published at: followed by a URL.
- Click that text.
- The audience view of the calendar opens in a new tab in your browser.
- Click the tab to see the audience view.
- To see the detailed view of your event, click the event description.
- To make any edits, click back to the tab that has the edit view (your name may appear on the tab), and then click the event title. This opens the edit screen for the selected event.
If you made changes within the last 10 minutes, try refreshing your browser. Make sure you have switched to the tab where the audience view of the calendar appears.
Only authorized editors can add events to calendars. If you want to post an event on the Campus Event Calendar, you must first add the event to your departmental calendar.
In order to publish an event to the Campus Event Calendar, editors must first publish an event on their departmental calendar, and then share it to the Campus Event Calendar. The reason for this is the way permissions work in Trumba. An editor on the Campus Event Calendar has access to every event on that calendar. In order to minimize the potential for mistakes
My event doesn’t fit in any of the event types. Can I add a new event type?
For the initial roll out of the Trumba calendar system, UW-IT has provided a list of event types that we developed based on extensive user research, and determined a set of event types that would cover the majority of user needs. Keep in mind that you can select multiple event types. This will help more people find your event when they filter on event types.
If you think that none of these sufficiently describes your event, please submit a request for an additional event type to firstname.lastname@example.org. Over the next year we will collect and evaluate feedback from users. If there proves to be sufficient need for new event types to be created, we will do so.
Why did UW get rid of the old calendar system?
Trumba provides a better mobile experience, an improved user interface, event registration, and the ability to embed calendars into Web sites. Also, an event created in one calendar can appear in multiple calendars.