Congratulations Layla Jamil 2020 DAAD Scholar

I have been a student at the University of Washington for the past four years, pursuing a major in neuroscience and a minor in music, the two subjects that I cherish the most. With this Bachelor of Science, I intend on pursuing medical school and become a doctor in order to help save lives and provide help to the less fortunate. My professional goals are highly motivated by my personal experiences in the medical field. Being from a multi-ethnic family, I was exposed to how diversity can create a better community of strong, smart and hardworking people. As someone who has grown up in the Seattle area for my whole life, I applied for the DAAD in order to experience something fresh and new with the support of the neuroscience department at UW. The experience I hope to gain with the DAAD was inspired by my experiences as a FIUTS Student Board member. I would like to continue learning about different cultures and further my understanding of how the field of science can further benefit with diversity. My personal goals are to explore how different societies operate and to use beneficial learning experiences I encounter all around the world to develop as an individual. I look forward to furthering my contributions to the field of science and I hope to inspire other young women to take on the challenge of pursuing the competitive field of neuroscience. Lastly, I want to make a positive impact within my field of study so the future generations can continue progressing.

Layla’s tip: If I can do it, you can do it! Do not procrastinate on the application!