Graduate Program in Neuroscience

FAQs International Students

Why do I need a letter of support?

We recognize the value of international students, but are limited in the financial support we can provide for them. To ensure that international students have funding and can maintain their U.S. visa status, we require a supporting mentor letter at the time of application.

This mentor support letter does not oblige the student to do his/her dissertation research in the lab of that supporting mentor. Rather, if in the process of doing rotations the international student finds another mentor who can provide financial support, then the student would be free to join that lab

Do I need to submit a TOEFL score if I received my degree from an English speaking institution?

Proficiency can be demonstrated in one of the following five ways:

      1. A bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree from a regionally accredited institution in the United States where English is the medium of instruction.
      2. A bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree from an institution in Australia, the Bahamas, Canada, Ireland, Jamaica, Kenya, New Zealand, Singapore, Trinidad and Tobago, or the United Kingdom where English is the medium of instruction. While enrolled at the degree-granting school, the student must be in residence on campus.
      3. Official documentation from the applicant’s undergraduate degree-granting institution (if the institution is in a country other than those listed in #2 above) verifying that all instruction is in English. A minimum of three years of enrollment at the undergraduate institution is required. Documentation must be presented to the Graduate School; credential service reports are not acceptable. Acceptable documentation must be one of the following:
        • Official or attested letter from the undergraduate college, university Registrar, or Controller of Examinations office.
        • Official transcripts, attested mark sheets or degree statements, are also accepted if English is stated as the medium of instruction.
      4. An official letter stating successful completion of the UW Intensive English Program (IEP): University Track. The letter must be submitted to the Graduate School.
      5. Official English Language Test Score (sent electronically to the University of Washington via testing center):