Dr. Ko is a UW assistant professor in the Department of Neurological Surgery at the University of Washington Medical Center and Harborview Medical Center. In addition to general neurosurgery, he specializes in functional and restorative neurosurgery, epilepsy and neurosurgery for pain. Dr. Ko also conducts research in the areas of deep brain stimulation (DBS) and epilepsy. In particular, he is interested in ways to use imaging techniques and the electrical activity of the brain to better understand and treat diseases such as Parkinson’s disease, essential tremor and seizures. He is an active participant in research to develop better control of neural stimulation for these diseases, as well as in studies seeking to develop ways to improve memory in patients who have suffered brain damage. Dr. Ko earned his bachelor’s degree in philosophy from Dartmouth College and his M.D. from the University of Illinois in Chicago. He first came to Seattle and the University of Washington as an intern in general surgery and a resident in neurological surgery. He left a position as staff neurosurgeon at the UW Medical Center and Valley Medical Center in order to pursue a fellowship at the Oregon Health & Science University in stereotactic and functional neurosurgery. After completing this fellowship, he returned to the University of Washington to head the functional and restorative neurosurgery program. He is also a neurosurgeon with the Regional Epilepsy Center at Harborview. He works closely with the Center for Pain Relief at UWMC-Roosevelt, particularly in the areas of facial pain and intractable cancer pain.
Image-guided deep brain stimulation; open and stereotactic minimally-invasive surgery for epilepsy; open and percutaneous treatment of trigeminal neuralgia; functional mapping of the brain and surgery for brain tumors.
Enjoying the wonders of the Northwest – the culture, the food, the outdoors; collecting knives.
University of Illinois College of Medicine
University of Washington
University of Washington
Oregon Health & Science University
PEER REVIEWED JOURNAL ARTICLES
- Herron J, Thompson M, Brown T, Chizeck H, Ojemann J, Ko A. Cortical brain computer interface for closed-loop deep brain stimulation. IEEE transactions on neural systems and rehabilitation engineering : a publication of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. 2017. Epub 2017/05/26. doi: 10.1109/TNSRE.2017.270566 PubMed PMID: 28541211.
- Williams JR, Tenforde MW, Chan JD, Ko A, Graham SM. Safety and clinical response of intraventricular caspofungin for Scedosporium apiospermum complex central nervous system infection. Medical mycology case reports. 2016;13:1-4. Epub 2016/09/23. doi: 10.1016/j.mmcr.2016.07.003. PubMed PMID: 27656356; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5021765.
- Casimo K, Darvas F, Wander J, Ko A, Grabowski T, Novotny E, Poliakov A, Ojemann J, Weaver K. Regional Patterns of Cortical Phase Synchrony in the Resting State. Brain Connectivity. 2016;6(6):470-81. Epub 2016/03/29. doi: 10.1089/brain.2015.0362. PubMed PMID: 27019319. PMC4976227
- Herron JA, Thompson MC, Brown T, Chizeck HJ, Ojemann JG, Ko AL. Chronic electrocorticography for sensing movement intention and closed-loop deep brain stimulation with wearable sensors in an essential tremor patient. J Neurosurg. 2016 Nov 18:1-8. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 27858575
- Ene CI, Nerva JD, Morton RP, Barkley AS, Barber JK, Ko AL, Silbergeld DL. Safety and efficacy of carmustine (BCNU) wafers for metastatic brain tumors. Surg Neurol Int. 2016 May 6;7(Suppl 11):S295-9. doi: 10.4103/2152-7806.181987.
- Morton RP, Abecassis IJ, Hanson JF, Barber J, Nerva JD, Emerson SN, Ene CI, Chowdhary MM, Levitt MR, Ko AL, Dellit TH, Chesnut RM. Predictors of infection after 754 cranioplasty operations and the value of intraoperative cultures for cryopreserved bone flaps. J Neurosurg. 2016 Sep;125(3):766-70. doi: 10.3171/2015.8.JNS151390.
- Weaver KE, Wander JD, Ko AL, Casimo K, Grabowski TJ, Ojemann JG, Darvas F. Directional patterns of cross frequency phase and amplitude coupling within the resting state mimic patterns of fMRI functional connectivity. Neuroimage. 2016;128:238-51. Epub 2016/01/10. doi: 10.1016/j.neuroimage.2015.12.043. PubMed PMID: 26747745; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4762762.
- Morton RP, Abecassis JI, Hanson JF, Barber J, Nerva JD, Emerson SN, Ene CI, Chowdhary MM, Levitt MR, Ko AL, Dellit TH, Chesnut RM. Predictors of infection after 754 cranioplasty operations and the value of intraoperative cultures for cryopreserved bone flaps. J Neurosurg. 2016:1-5. Epub 2016/01/16. doi: 10.3171/2015.JNS151390. PubMed PMID: 26771856.
- Ko AL, Ozpinar A, Raskin JS, Magill ST, Raslan AM, Burchiel KJ. Correlation of preoperative MRI with the long-term outcomes of dorsal root entry zone lesioning for brachial plexus avulsion pain. Journal of Neurosurgery. 2015:1- Epub 2015/09/26. doi: 10.3171/2015.2.JNS142572; PMID:26406799
- Cleary DR, Ozpinar A, Raslan AM, Ko AL. Deep brain stimulation for psychiatric disorders: where we are now. Neurosurg Focus. 2015;38(6):E2. PMID:26030702
- Ko AL, Ozpinar A, Lee A, Raslan A, Burchiel KJ. Long-term efficacy and safety of internal neurolysis for trigeminal neuralgia without vascular compression. J Neurosurg. 2015;122(5):1048-57. PMID:25679283
- Ko AL, Lee, A, Raslan, AM, Ozpinar, A, McCartney, S, Burchiel, KJ. Trigeminal neuralgia without neurovascular compression presents earlier than trigeminal neuralgia with neurovascular compression. Journal of Neurosurgery. 2015:1-9. PMID:26047411
- Ko AL, Weaver KE, Hakimian S, Ojemann JG. Identifying functional networks using endogenous connectivity in gamma band electrocorticography. Brain Connect. 2013;3(5):491-502. PMID:23879617 PMC: 3796331
- Ko AL, Nerva JD, Chang JJ, Chesnut RM. Traumatic fracture of polymethylmethacrylate patient-specific cranioplasty implant. World Neurosurg. 2013 Sep 18. pii: S1878-8750(13)01207-2. doi: 10.1016/j.wneu.2013.09.025. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID:24056094
- Ko AL, Fink KT, Stelzer KM, Silbergeld DL. Safety and Efficacy of Concomitant Chemotherapeutic Wafers and Iodine-125 seeds for Recurrent Glioblastoma. Surg Neurol Int, 2012;3:137. PMID:23230518 PMC: 3515939
- Ko A, Su DK, Born D, DeSantis A, Failor RA, Ferreira Jr., M. Two patients with primary sellar leiomyomas, a rare entity. J Clin Neurosci, Journal of clinical neuroscience: Official journal of the Neurosurgical Society of Australasia. 2013;20(6):897-901. PMID:23219820
- Wray CD, Kraemer DL, Yang T, Poliachik SL, Ko AL, Poliakov A, Hebb AO, Novotny EJ, Ojemann JG. Freehand placement of depth electrodes using electromagnetic frameless stereotactic guidance. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2011 Nov;8(5):464-7.
- Ko AL, Darvas F, Poliakov A, Ojemann J, Sorensen LB. Quasi-periodic fluctuations in default mode network electrophysiology. J Neurosci. 2011 Aug 10;31(32):11728-32.
- Morton R, Lucas TH 2nd, Ko A, Browd SR, Ellenbogen RG, Chesnut RM. Intracerebral Abscess Associated with the Camino® Intracranial Pressure Monitor: Case Report and Review of the Literature. Neurosurgery. 2012;71(1):E193-8. PMID:21869723
- Ko A, Filardi T, Giussani C, Ghodke R, Browd SR. An intracranial aneurysm and dural arteriovenous fistula in a newborn. Pediatr Neurosurg. 2010;46(6):450-6. Epub 2011 May 3.
- Ko AL, Gabikian P, Perkins JA, Gruber DP, Avellino AM. Endoscopic repair of a rare basioccipital meningocele associated with recurrent meningitis. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2010 Aug;6(2):188-92.
- Nair MN, Ramakrishna R, Song K, Kinney G, Slimp J, Ko AL, Avellino AM. Human motor evoked potential responses following spinal cord transection: an in vivo study. Neurosurg Focus. 2010 Jul;29(1):E4.
- Ko AL, Song K, Ellenbogen RG, Avellino AM. Retrospective review of multilevel spinal fusion combined with spinal cord transection for treatment of kyphoscoliosis in pediatric myelomeningocele patients. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2007 Oct 15;32(22):2493-501.
- Fukuchi J, Hiipakka RA, Kokontis JM, Hsu S, Ko AL, Fitzgerald ML, Liao S. Androgenic suppression of ATP-binding cassette transporter A1 expression in LNCaP human prostate cancer cells. Cancer Res. 2004 Nov 1;64(21):7682-5.
- Fukuchi J, Song C, Ko AL, Liao S. Transcriptional regulation of farnesyl pyrophosphate synthase by liver X receptors. Steroids. 2003 Sep;68(7-8):685-91.
- Ko AL, Burchiel KJ. Percutaneous Procedures for Trigeminal Neuralgia. In: Winn HR, Editor. Youmans and Winn: Neurological Surgery. Elsevier, Philadelphia 2017. Pp. 1405-1412.
- Ko AL, Loeser JD. Radiofrequency Gangliolysis of the Trigeminal Nerve for Trigeminal Neuralgia. In: Racz GB, Noe CE, editors. Techniques of Neurolysis. 2 ed: Springer International; 2016. p. 75-83, Chapter 4.
- Ko, AL. “Trigeminal Neuralgia”, in, 100 CASE REVIEWS IN NEUROSURGERY, by Rahul Jandial, Mike Chen and Michele Aizenberg, eds. Elsevier, Philadelphia. 2015
- Ko AL, Burchiel KJ. (2015). “Surgery on the Peripheral Nerves for Pain,” in Sunderland’s Nerves and Nerve Injuries, R. Shane Tubbs, Elias Rizk, Mohammadali Shoja, Marios Loukas, Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research (“Mayo”), Robert J. Spinner and Nicholas Barbaro, eds. Elsevier, Philadelphia. 27 May 2015, ISBN 9780124103900
- Hnenny, L, Ko AL, Burchiel KJ. (2016). “Operations for vascular compression syndromes.” In, Otologic Surgery. Derald Brackmann, Clough Shelton,and Moses A. Arriaga, ed. (4th edition) Elsevier, Philadelphia. Chapter 44. ISBN: 978-0-323-29977-0
- Ko, AL, Burchiel KJ. (2016). “Spinal and cranial surgery for intractable pain syndromes.” In, Atlas of Neurosurgical Techniques, 2nd ed. LN Sekhar, RG Fessler, eds. Thieme New York. ISBN-13: 978-1626233881
- Ko AL, Britz G. (2010). “Anterior Communicating Artery Aneurysms,” in Fundamentals of Operative Techniques in Neurosurgery. E. Sander Connolly, Jr. & Guy M. McKhann II, eds. Thieme New York