What is it? To celebrate the impact of Agenda for Education in a Democracy and the National Network for Educational Renewal, the 2009 NNER conference will feature a display of books from settings and leadership associates. Located in the coffee break area of the conference, this "literary cafe" will allow attendees to browse through books that have resulted from the NNER's work and get better acquainted with colleagues' scholarship.
As a complete display, the literary café will provide impressive evidence of the productivity of NNER partnerships and the outcomes that funding agencies have realized from their investments in our work. There will be an opportunity for conference participants to order the books on site, and a continuing electronic display of these books will be incorporated into the developing web site of the Goodlad Institute for Educational Renewal.
How to participate. If you would like a book to be included in the Literary Café, please follow these four steps:
(1) Make sure it fits the criteria for eligibility. We will display books that:
- Substantively address elements of the AED, including the four-part mission (enculturation into a social and political democracy, access to knowledge for all students, caring pedagogy, and stewardship for schools), the strategies of simultaneous renewal of schools and the education of educators, and the postulates that guide efforts to improve teacher education;
- Were published during the ten years since In Praise of Education Conference (August, 1999); and,
- Were authored or edited by individuals from NNER settings or members of the IEI Leadership Associates programs.
(2) Write a short (maximum 50 word) description of how the book addresses the AED (this will be displayed with the book in the Literary Café so that participants can quickly see the connection).
(3) Send a copy of the book and the description to the Goodlad Institute for Educational Renewal before September 1, 2009 to the address below.
Goodlad Institute for Educational Renewal
Attention: Literary Café
University of Washington Bothell
18115 Campus Way N. E.
Bothell, Washington 98011-8246
If you have questions, please contact the Conference Office at email@example.com or 206-543-1537.