The Nutritional Sciences Minor requires a total of 25 credits. Students follow the requirements that are in place at the time they declare the minor. The requirements listed below are for students who enter the minor in AUT 2015 and beyond. See the sidebar for all Minor Overview information sheets.
Core Requirements (11-12 credits)
Both of the following courses:
|NUTR 200||Nutrition for Today (4)||Formerly NUTR 300|
|NUTR 400||Nutrition Seminar (1, max 4)||Formerly NUTR 490|
Two courses selected from the following:
|NUTR 302||Food Studies: Harvest to Health (3)||Prerequisite: NUTR 200 (formerly NUTR 300)|
|NUTR 303||Neighborhood Nutrition (3)||Prerequisite: NUTR 200 (formerly NUTR 300)|
|NUTR 310||Nutrition and the Life Course (4)||Prerequisite: NUTR 200 (formerly NUTR 300)|
Elective Coursework (to total 25 credits)
Note: Additional quarters of NUTR 400 and course selections in the list above (NUTR 302, 303, 310) may be used as electives if they are not counted toward the core requirements.
|NUTR 405||Physical Activity in Health and Disease (3)||Prerequisite: either BIOL 118 or BIOL 220|
|NUTR 406||Sports Nutrition (3)||Prerequisite: NUTR 200 (formerly NUTR 300)|
|NUTR 411||Diet in Health and Disease (3)||Prerequisite: NUTR 200 (formerly NUTR 300)|
|NUTR 412||United States Food and Nutrition Policy (3)||Prerequisite: NUTR 200 (formerly NUTR 300); Juniors, seniors only|
|NUTR 420||Global Nutrition: Challenges and Opportunities (3)||Prerequisite: NUTR 200 (formerly NUTR 300)|
|NUTR 441||Food and Culinary Science* (3) PCE course||Recommended: general and organic chemistry|
|NUTR 446||Food Safety and Health (3)||Juniors, seniors only|
|NUTR 465/BIO A 465||Nutritional Anthropology (3) (Currently unavailable)||Prerequisite: BIO A 201|
|ANTH 361||Anthropology of Food (5)||Prerequisite: one 200-level ANTH|
|ENV H 441||Food Protection (3)||Prerequisite: 2.0 in either CHEM 155 or CHEM 162; 2.0 in MICROM 302|
|EPI 320||Introduction to Epidemiology (4)||Prerequisite or concurrent
registration: either BIOST 310,
QMETH 201, Q SCI 381, STAT 220,
STAT/CS&SS/SOC 221, or STAT 311
|GEOG 271||Geography of Food and Eating (5)|
|GEOG 371||World Hunger and Agricultural Development (5) (Currently unavailable)||Recommended: either GEOG 230, GEOG 330, or GEOG 335|
|GEOG 380||Geographical Patterns of Health and Disease (5)|
* Prerequisite for the Graduate Coordinated Program in Dietetics
Other Academic Requirements
- Minimum of 13 credits must be taken from the School of Public Health (NUTR, ENV H, or EPI courses).
- Minimum of 15 credits must be completed in 300- and 400-level courses.
- Minimum of 15 credits applied to the minor must be completed in residence at the University of Washington.
- Minimum of 15 credits applied to the minor must be taken outside of the student’s major requirements. This means these classes may not apply both to the satisfying major requirements and minor requirements.
- Minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA is needed for courses presented for the minor.
- Students must declare a major and have completed a minimum of 45 credits before declaring the minor.
- Students must have the major adviser sign off on minor declaration paperwork to ensure satisfactory progress requirements are met.