Smart Phone Study: Information for Students
This academic year, the Obstetrics and Gynecology Division of Education is studying the use of QR codes and QR readers on smart phones for completing medical student evaluations. Participating clerkship sites have been randomized to do evaluations on paper/website versus smart phones. The evaluations across all sites are identical-the only difference is the manner in which they are completed and submitted.
You will be notified at the beginning of the rotation whether you are at a site participating in the study. If you are assigned to a participating site, you will be informed whether you are in the paper/website evaluations or the smart phone arm of the study.
At the end of the clerkship, you will be sent a survey link regarding your experience with this evaluation tool. For your participation, you will be entered into a lottery to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
If you are at a site that is not participating in the study or participating in the paper/website arm of the study, you will need to print off your pelvic CEX, breast CEX and mid-clerkship feedback and submit it to the office in order to receive your final grade.
For Students at a Smart Phone Site
If you are at a smart phone site, you will be sent a unique QR code on a sticker at the beginning of the rotation. [DKE1] Please carry it with you. You will also be sent an email with your QR code in case your sticker is misplaced. Please present it after you have done your pelvic CEX, breast CEX or mid clerkship feedback so the attending can complete the evaluation. It will automatically be submitted to the clerkship office in order to receive your grade.
Below is a brief description of QR codes and readers and how to use them that has been sent to the site directors participating in the smart phone arm of the study. We are including this here for your information as well.
A QR (quick response) code is a matrix bar code that can be scanned with a smart phone QR reader in a second or two. Once the scan is done, a web address link will come up on the smart phone screen that can be used to access medical student and resident evaluation surveys. This is an example of a QR code that will link you to Wikipedia:
QR readers are available for both iphones/ipads and android smart phones by searching the applications available for your cell phone.
Iphone or ipads – itunes store
- For iPhone users go to the itunes app store, type in "QR reader" and install a free version.
- QR Reader for iPhone by TapMedia Ltd works well on the iPhone
- RedLaser Barcode Scanner is also a good option
Android – google play
- For Android users go to the Google Play Store type in "QR reader" and install a free version
- Scan Inc.
- QR Droid are good QR reader options.
Once you have downloaded a reader to your phone, you should:
- Tap on the QR app icon on your phone and the camera on your phone will be activated.
- Ask the medical student or resident for their QR code. Each trainee has a unique QR code that links to an evaluation form only for them.
- Align the QR reader brackets with the QR code and wait. The camera may take a moment to focus on the code but when it's done a scan will occur and you should see either the evaluation form or a link to take you to the evaluation. If a link appears, tap the link or the OK button to open the evaluation survey. As you are completing the evaluation, hold your phone in the same orientation. If you move your phone 90 degrees, sometimes the evaluation form will return to the beginning of the survey.