The UW Family Planning Program provides exceptional family planning care to individuals and partners with diverse
medical and cultural backgrounds.
- To provide expert family planning, pregnancy loss, and abortion care and consultation to local and regional communities.
- To investigate critical clinical questions and conduct innovative research to advance the field of family planning
- To teach students, residents, fellows and the greater medical and non-medical community to further knowledge and understanding of contraception, abortion, and pregnancy loss
- To be leaders in reproductive health advocacy, ensuring the rights of women and their partners in achieving their reproductive goals
- Read more about Contraception and Birth Control
- Read more about Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss
- Read more about Abortion
- Read more about Fellowship in Family Planning
- Read more about Ryan Residency Training Program
Your privacy is our priority. The Family Planning Clinic is integrated into the University of Washington's obstetrics and gynecology (Ob/Gyn) services, and your experience will be similar to a general doctor's visit. Since the Family Planning Clinic is integrated into the Women's Health Care Center at UWMC-Roosevelt, our patients are not identifiable from any others who seek care.
We offer all types of family planning services, including:
- Birth control: all types including IUDs, pills, emergency contraception, ring, patch, and implants
- Complex contraception for patients with chronic medical conditions
- Pregnancy testing and options counseling
- Medical abortion ("Abortion Pill")
- First and second-trimester surgical abortion services
- Sterilization (tubal ligation, Essure® tubal occlusion)
- Management of miscarriage
- Sexually transmitted infection (STI) testing and treatment
- Interpreter services for non-English-speaking patients
At the Family Planning Clinic, we offer comprehensive and expert family planning services for women who seek birth control options, treatment for miscarriage, elective abortion, and for women who desire termination of pregnancy due to fetal anomalies or maternal health conditions. We are a referral center for all complicated abortion cases in the region and are one of the few facilities that can offer procedures both in a clinic setting and in the operating room, depending on patient acuity and anesthesia needs/desires. In addition, our physicians, genetic counselors and social workers offer expert decision and process support.
We offer all types of contraceptive service including IUDs, pills, emergency contraception, ring, patch, and implants, female sterilization and complex contraception for patients with chronic medical conditions.
Our team provides individualized care in a respectful, supportive, and friendly environment. Physicians in the Family Planning Clinic are board-certified specialists who have advanced fellowship training in contraception and abortion. Our staff and physicians provide the highest quality of care for our patients and their families. We are committed to offering family planning services in a nonjudgmental and caring clinic that offers the full spectrum of women's healthcare.
Questions about family planning?
To schedule an appointment, click here or call 206-598-5500 and push option #4. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or need further information about our services.