If you are pregnant, you have options. Abortion is a safe and legal way to end pregnancy, and our health care specialists are here to help by discussing your options with you. We trust women to make the best decisions for themselves, their families and their health, and we will support you and care for you whether you decide to end the pregnancy or continue the pregnancy.
Most abortion services at UW Medicine take place at the Family Planning Clinic. We provide care for women seeking elective abortion, and for pregnancy termination due to health problems with the fetus or mother. Your privacy is our priority. Since the Family Planning Clinic is fully integrated into the UW Women's Health Care Center, our patients are not identifiable from any others who are seeking care, and your experience will be similar to a general doctor's visit.
- Medical Abortion: Medical abortion, or non-surgical abortion, can be performed up to 10 weeks from your last menstrual period. The process takes place in the privacy of your own home and requires two separate visits to our office. The first visit includes an exam, counseling, and obtaining medications to take at home that will cause the pregnancy to pass. The second visit will take place a week or two later to make sure the abortion is complete. Click here for more information about steps to follow for a medical abortion after your first visit.
- Surgical Abortion: For women who are less than 14 weeks pregnant, surgical abortion is performed in a single visit. The procedure takes place in our office with local anesthesia and oral pain-relieving medications in a private room. Click here for information about what to expect after a first trimester surgical abortion and how to take care of yourself. For women who are beyond 14 weeks pregnant, two visits are required over a two-day period. Click here for information about what to expect after a second trimester abortion procedure.
- Surgical Abortion with general anesthesia: Some women wish to be asleep during the abortion procedure. For these patients, we will schedule an initial consultation in clinic and then schedule the surgery in the UW operating room, usually within 1 week.
- Pregnancy termination for women with pregnancies complicated by medical conditions and fetal abnormalities
- Pre- and post-procedure counseling and follow-up
- Post-abortion contraception
Facts for women about termination of pregnancy, abortion, and miscarriage
More information about early abortion services
FAQs about pregnancy choices: raising the baby, adoption, and abortion
Exhale (after-abortion counseling talkline)
Questions about family planning?
To schedule an appointment, click here or call 206-598-5500 and push option #8. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or need further information about our services..