Instructor: Yu-chin Chen
Time/Location: TTh 9:30-11:20pm/ CDH 139
Office Hours: Fri 11-12pm or 4:30-5pm (most weeks)
* Please use the course email if you need to contact me: email@example.com
* Quiz from presentations! Final paper due by noon, Wednesday March 20th.
* 3/4: Group Project Description (with clarification on 2ndary groups)
* 3/4: Sample group project evaluation form
* Please email me a time for your group meeting (see slot options in the beginning of 2/26's lecture notes)
* 2/7: Please sign up for a Group Projec here.
* This course requires each student to participate in a group project, which culminates in final 30 min-presentations during the last 3 days of the course. There will be two midterms and four homework assignments.
* Proof that exchange rate is a serious matter!
|Jan 8||Introduction||KO Ch.13/Ch.1, Questionnaire|
|Jan 10||Balance of Payments and the Exchange Rate Market||PS1; PS1 solution|
|Jan 15||The Asset Market View of the Exchange Rate||KO Ch.14/Ch.2||
K. Rogoff,"Dornbusch's Overshooting Model after 25 years"
|Jan 17||Money, Interest Rates, and Exchange Rates||KO Ch.15/Ch.3|
|Jan 22||PPP and the Law of One Price||PS2; PS2 solution||K. Rogoff, (1996), "The Purchasing Power Parity Puzzle", Journal of Economic Literature|
|Jan 24||Long-Run Exchange Rate Determination||KO Ch.16/Ch.4|
|Jan 29||Forward-Looking Market Instruments||Melvin Chapter 4 on Forex instruments|
|Jan 31||Midterm #1||* Sign up for Group Project|
|Feb 5||Exchange Rates and the Macroeconomy||PS 3; PS3 solution|
|Feb 7||Output and Exchange Rate||Group Project Description|
|Feb 12||Output, ER, and the Current Account||
Bernanke Ben, "The Global Saving Glut and the U.S. Current Account Deficit", Sandridge Lecture, Virginia Association of Economics, March 2005
|Feb 14||Exchange Rate Regimes|
|Feb 19||Currency Crises||PS 4; PS4 solution|
|Feb 21||History and Policy Intervention|
|Feb 28||Midterm #2||Please sign up for group office hours|
|Mar 5||Policy Topics Overview|
|Mar 7||Group Presentations I + Discussion|
|Mar 12||Group Presentations II + Discussion||Final paper due by noon, March 20th.|
|Mar 14||Group Presentations III + Discussion|