Beinecke Scholarship for juniors in Arts, Humanities & Social Science Fields
The Beinecke Scholarship provides $34,000 for graduate study in arts, humanities and social science fields to juniors (based on graduation date) of exceptional ability and achievement. Students must be nominated to compete for this scholarship, and the UW is allowed to nominate one student per year to compete for this national award.
To be eligible for this scholarship, a student must:
- Have demonstrated superior standards of intellectual ability, scholastic achievement and personal promise during his or her undergraduate career.
- Be a college junior pursuing a bachelor’s degree during the 2013-2014 academic year. “Junior” means a student who plans to continue full-time undergraduate study and who expects to receive a baccalaureate degree between December 2014 and August 2015.
- Be a United States citizen or a United States national from American Samoa or the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.
- Have a documented history of receiving need-based financial aid during his or her undergraduate years. Primary evidence of meeting this criterion is a student’s history of receiving need-based institutional, state or federal grants-in-aid. An institutional financial aid officer will be required to complete a Financial Data Sheet certifying that the student meets this criterion. During the selection process, the amount of financial need will be one of the factors considered with preference being given to candidates for whom the awarding of a scholarship would significantly increase the likelihood of the student’s being able to attend graduate school.
- Plan to enter a master’s or doctoral program in the arts, humanities or social sciences. Students in the social sciences who plan to pursue graduate study in neuroscience should not apply for a Beinecke Scholarship. Also, students who plan to pursue graduate study in professional programs (law school, business school, etc.) should not apply.
To learn more about this opportunity and the campus application and nomination process, please attend a Beinecke Scholarship Information Session:
- Thurs., Nov. 14, 2013, 4:30 – 5:20 pm, 173R MGH
- Tues., Nov. 19, 2013, 3:30 – 4:20pm, 173R MGH
- Wed., Dec. 4, 2013, 12:30 – 1:20pm, 173R MGH
- RSVP to attend at https://expo.uw.edu/expo/rsvp/event/238, though drop-ins are always welcome.
The UW application process for those seeking nomination will open by Nov. 14, 2013 and the deadline for submission will be January 9, 2014. Details and the UW application (when it opens on Nov. 14) are at http://expd.washington.edu/scholarships/search/search-results.html?page_stub=beinecke.