Job/Work Study Position @ UW Women’s Center
The University of Washington Women’s Center is Hiring: NEW Leadership Institute Employment Opportunity!
The University of Washington Women’s Center is seeking a part-time student intern OR work-study eligible student to support our National Education for Women’s (N.E.W.) Leadership Institute. We hope to fill the position immediately and the student may continue working at the UW Women’s Center through the summer with the potential to stay on through the 2012-2013 school year as the NEW Leadership Program Coordinator.
NEW Leadership™ Puget Sound is a partner in the national award-winning program to educate and empower the next generation of women leaders. NEW Leadership™ teaches college women the value of civic engagement and encourages them to see themselves as empowered leaders who can effectively participate in politics and public policy. By offering political and civic leadership training to undergraduates, NEW Leadership strives to increase the number of women in the “leadership pipeline,” thereby enhancing the prospects for democratic representation, participation, and leadership in contemporary political and civic life. NEW Leadership Puget Sound is open to all female undergraduate students who attend four-year or two-year institutions and consists of an intensive six-day training institute held at the UW Women’s Center from June 11th – June 16th, 2012.
Duties and Responsibilities during the 2012 Institute, June 11 – 16, 2012:
- Assist the Program Coordinator in the facilitation and coordination of the NEW Leadership Institute for 34 students from two- and four- year institutions across the Puget Sound region
- Responsibilities include serving as the contact person for all speakers/trainers, NEW Leadership participants, and elected officials who are playing a role in the June 2012 NEW Leadership Institute (June 11th – June 16th on the University of Washington campus). To learn more about the Institute, please visit the following link: http://depts.washington.edu/newlead/
Responsibilities during the Summer & 2012-2013 School Year
- Compile surveys, data, demographic information, and budgets from NEW Leadership participants from the 2012 Institute for future grants and Women’s Center reports
- Partner with representatives from two-year and four-year colleges and universities in the Puget Sound region to recruit a diverse cohort of students for the June 2013 Institute
- Serve as primary contact person for students during the recruitment and application process for the June 2013 Institute
- Publicize the program to students, faculty, and administrators at schools throughout the Puget Sound region to increase application numbers
- Work with the NEW Leadership Advisory Board Chair and WC Director to determine acceptance and waitlist for applicants
- Develop the alumnae initiative by organizing events, drafting newsletters, and maintaining the database of past NEW Leadership participants
- Current University of Washington student with Work Study Eligibility OR Current University of Washington student
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Strong organization and attention to detail
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Some experience and interest in program coordinating or project management
- Some evening and weekend availability (prior to and during the NEW Leadership 2012 Institute)
- Opportunity to enhance program development and coordination skills
- Work closely with group of professional women who support the work of the Women’s Center as well engage in civic and political leadership in the community
- Meet and network with women leaders in the public sector and develop leadership/management experience
- Satisfies summer internship requirements for most degree programs
- Please e-mail resume and cover letter to Senait Habte at email@example.com; CC Ellie Canter at firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you have any questions or would like additional information, please contact Ellie Canter at email@example.com or by phone at (206) 685-1090.