McNair Scholars Program Application Deadline- April 5th
The Ronald E. McNair Scholars Program prepares undergraduates for doctoral study through involvement in research and scholarly activities. For more information please go to: http://depts.washington.edu/uwmcnair/description.htm
Printable PDF of McNair Applications can be found at: http://depts.washington.edu/uwmcnair/appinfo.htm
In order to apply for the McNair Program, you must meet the following eligibility criteria set by the U.S. Department of Education. Because this is a federally funded program, these are strict requirements.
To be eligible, you:
- must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- must be a low-income student who is also a first-generation college student (for detailed descriptions, click on the links); or
must be a member of a group that is underrepresented in graduate education (African American, American Indian/Alaskan Native, Hispanic/Latino, or Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander). Low-income, defined by the U.S. Department of Education can be found at: http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ope/trio/incomelevels.html. First-generation, defined by the U.S. Department of Education can be found at: http://depts.washington.edu/uwmcnair/low.htm#first
- must be currently enrolled as an undergraduate in a degree program at the University of Washington1
- must have completed 36 credits by the time of initial entry into the program
- must have at least one year remaining before graduation (i.e., if you are graduating within the year, you are not eligible for the program)
- must have a minimum cumulative GPA of: 2.8 (sophomores), 3.0 (juniors), 3.2 (seniors)
- must express STRONG desire to attain a Ph.D.2
1Post-baccalaureate students and students who already have one bachelors degree are not eligible for the program.
2Students whose career goals include a medical (MD) or other professional degree (JD, MBA, PharmD, etc.) are not eligible for the program.