Rome Academic Enrichment Program
The Office of Minority Affairs & Diversity (OMA&D) is once again sponsoring the Rome Academic Enrichment Program in 2013. This will be the 18th year we are able to send students to participate in the Rome class. The five credit Winter Quarter course will include ten days in Rome during the break between Winter and Spring Quarters.
OMA&D participants are invited to nominate themselves and, depending on the applicant pool, the committee will select twelve students for the trip.
To be eligible, applicants must have the following characteristics:
- Earned at least 90 college credits by the end of Summer Quarter 2012, at least 45 of them at the UW.
- They must have a cumulative UW GPA of 3.0 or better.
- Students need to be financial aid eligible. (We will require documentation from students to verify this criterion).
- Candidates must be active in one or more of OMA&D’s family of programs: EOP, TRIO SSS, the IC, ECC, HSCMSP, LSAMP, EIP/McNair, Champions Student Ambassadors or any other OMA&D affiliated program.
- This year we will be very strict in our screening of students who have had other travel abroad opportunities. Therefore, students who have already participated in the Rome program or other study abroad programs are not eligible for the 2013 trip.
Please send your self-nomination, with a mailing address and student number, to Gabriel Gallardo (firstname.lastname@example.org) via e-mail, fax, or regular mail no later than 5:00 p.m. on Friday, October 26, 2012.
Nominees will be mailed applications and invited to become candidates. At that time you will need to request a letter of recommendation at that time from an OMA&D staff member or a faculty member who is familiar with your academic work. A committee of non-OMA&D UW faculty and staff will select the students for the trip.
We hope you take time to consider this opportunity to enrich your educational experience at the UW through this unique travel abroad experience.