Web Developer Intership
Sustainability Map Web Developer
Start Date: December 2012 or 1st week of classes January 2013
Hours/Times: 10-‐15 hours per week, Days/Times Negotiable
Internship Period: Through Spring Quarter 2013 (until development of project is complete)
Husky Jobs ID# 65775
UW Environmental Stewardship and Sustainability (ESS) operates within the F2 Administration/ Strategy Management department of UW Finance & Facilities.
The Sustainability Map Developer will work in partnership with the ESS Program Coordinator to develop an online interface for the UW Sustainability Map. The goal of this project is to improve and further develop our current Drupal/Google Sustainability Map into a visually attractive and user-‐friendly online interface to display the information we have collected for a University of Washington Sustainability Map. The Sustainability Map Developer will gain experience in integrating CSS coding, with Drupal, and with Google Maps.
This position will report to and work closely with the website manager for the Environmental Stewardship & Sustainability office. The sustainability map developer will be primarily responsible for the map project, but will have the option of helping with other web development projects if desired.
Project Outcomes and Metrics:
1. Establish a sustainability map that meets the following objectives:
a.) The map should be self-‐sustaining, require minimal ongoing maintenance, and not require additional funding from the University b.) The program should be comprehensive in regards to multiple areas of sustainability practices c.) The program should retain the UW look and feel, while still resembling the ESS site d.) The program should be simple to use and update
2. Perform user testing on the map interface to improve the user experience.
3. Use multiple marketing methods to communicate the completion of the sustainability map to students and departments on campus.
4. Measurable metrics: number of visitors to the sustainability map, tracked by Google Analytics.
- Experience with Drupal, Google Maps, CSS, HTML, and/or other computer programs and design software.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage competing deadlines and prioritize time accordingly.
- Ability to work independently and a strong commitment to environmental learning.
- Multi‐tasking skills and the ability to work on a wide variety of tasks.
- Previous experience working in an office environment is a plus.
Email cover letter, resume and contact information for two references to firstname.lastname@example.org