In the News
- University of Texas, MD Anderson, Houston TX
- Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY
- Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
- Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD
- Dana-Farber/Brigham and Women's Cancer Center , Boston MA
- Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston MA
U.S. News evaluated 4,806 hospitals to rank the best in 16 individual specialties from cancer to urology. Death rates for the most demanding cases, patient safety, patient survival, and care-related factors are taken into consideration for the 2013-14 rankings. Reputation is based on the feedback of 200 physicians per specialty, who are randomly selected and asked to list the hospitals they consider to be the best in their specialty for complex or difficult cases.
Nearly 900 hospitals are listed in Cancer. All are experienced in treating difficult cases—a hospital is listed only if at least 251 inpatients who needed a high level of expertise in this specialty were treated there in 2009, 2010 and 2011. The top 50 hospitals are ranked by score. Those below the top 50 are listed alphabetically.
Local News About Rankings
July 16, 2013, UW Today: "UW Medicine hospitals rank highly in latest U.S. News & World Report's Best Hospitals"