Stoneware powder is one of our favorites in the lab as it has acceptable damp strength, good green strength,  and mostly behaves in the kiln cycle.

SPS Stoneware Buff  1000 units

Powdered Sugar        250 units

Maltodextrin             250 units

If you can’t find Maltodextrin, then use Benefiber (it is no longer maltodextrin but rather a wheat dextrin).

Glazed and Unglazed

M. Eden Torus: Stoneware Glazed and Unglazed.

6 Comments on Stoneware Powder

1. emily says:

Hi, this is a wonderful forum and i am learning a great deal about this topic from reading though everyone’s posts. I have a beginner question…what exactly does each material do for the overall resulting powder (powdered sugar vs Maltodextrin)? If I were to experiment with ratios/substitutions how would i determine what does what and thus what would be a reasonable substitute for what? I hope this makes sense. Does one help bind while the other pull moisture away? Or is it something else entirely? Thanks so much for any response/insight you have to offer.

2. emily says:

3. Austin says:

How do you know what temperature to fire this stoneware to? I can’t find this information anywhere.

• ganter says:

Austin, I believe all of the firing information is available either in the “The Printed Pot” article or the Solid Freeform Fabrication (SFF) conference paper by Grant Marchelli dealing with 3DP of ceramics.

G. Marchelli, M. Ganter, and D. Storti, “New Material Systems for 3D Ceramic Printing”, Proceedings of the International Solid Freeform Fabrication Symposium, pp 477-487, August 2009.

4. Austin says:

• ganter says: