It seems that everyone wants to print in THE cheapest material possible.    If this powder is not the cheapest, it is clearly in the running.  We ran this powder for 6 solid months to support our educational activities.

White Satin Baker’s Special Sugar – 200 units

Powdered Sugar (10x or 12x) – 100 units

These sugar products are produced by The Amalgamated Sugar Co./Snake River Sugar Co. out of beet sugars.  The White Satin is a tri-modal sugar with screenings in 50, 100, and 140 mesh.    10x or 12x powdered sugar always has some corn starch added to stop clumping.   If you can get 12x, it is the better choice.   All of these products are available in 50 lbs plastic bags.   The cost of this mix is $0.15 – $0.30 per pound!

The nice thing about parts produced using this powder is that you can use them for investment casting/lost wax casting by infusing them with wax.

Helpful Tip: keep your machine clean using this mix as things could get sticky!

42 Comments on Sugar-Sugar Powder

1. Beth says:

Are you using this with your vodka based XF1 binder?

2. Beth says:

3. admin says:

yes, we have on 400 class systems. It is a little bit course but works fine. If you try it on something else, please let us know.

4. admin says:

5. admin says:

Really you could use either binder with sugar-sugar. Each will have its own saturation settings.

6. admin says:

7. Christophe says:

Your work is really amazing folks ! I have access to a 310 printer and i will certainely try those recipe !

I’m not a specialist but i wonder if it is possible to use wood flour and casein powder with a water base binder for 3D printing… what do you thing ?

8. Christophe says:

9. admin says:

Christophe, Thanks for your kind words.

In fact, we demonstrated printing in wood flour during a lab open house early this past summer. We tried PVA rather than casein. Casein or Sodium CMC would be good choices too. I encourage you to try casein out. We were looking for something that was waterproof after processing.

Good luck and please keep us posted. Send pictures and stories as we accept posts.

10. admin says:

Christophe, Thanks for your kind words.

11. nullset says:

I’m having trouble finding ultrafine (or “baker’s special”) sugar! If anyone can recommend a supplier, please email me.

• admin says:

Go directly to your grocery store and look in the isle for baking. You should find C&H bakers sugar (ultrafine) in a 1/2 gallon milk carton paper container.

http://www.bakerssugar.com/goodbye.htm

It’s maybe $4. If you want bigger quantities, then find your local restaurant / bakery supply store. A 50 lb bag of bakers/ultrafine should cost $20-$25.

12. nullset says:

• admin says:

http://www.bakerssugar.com/goodbye.htm

13. madscifi says:

You may be interested in the following project being carried out on the Reprap forum – an inexpensive, DIY, single nozzle, inkjet print head. We’ve used the print head to make a couple of small, rather rough, 3D prints using this powder recipe.

http://forums.reprap.org/read......#msg-62954

14. madscifi says:

15. kyle says:

Hi guys, even at the lowest saturation levels our software permits, we are still seeing significant bleeding, causing edges to be rounded, and bottom layers to be flooded. Any advice?

• admin says:

Kyle, what powder setting are using as a base? One can produce different saturation settings with different powder types also.

16. kyle says:

• admin says:

17. kyle says:

we have a 310 series, with 7.10 series software. We are using the 150 powder as a baseline, I didn’t realize choosing a different baseline would allow us to modify parameters differently! Under our current trials we could only reduce our saturation to 27% (its max is 221%). I’ll have to check out other base powders. Any thoughts on that. Thanks for the tip 😀

18. kyle says:

19. Julian says:

Hi,
    Do I understand correctly that the above recipe is a mixture between the 2 sugars or can you use then separately?
    Since this recipe was created has anyone created a better one.
    Using a 310 what saturation settings are people using?

Thanks in advance.

• ganter says:

yes, it’s just made of sugar. We used two sugars to produce a better particle
      distribution function in the powder. I believe there is a post on Saturation.

20. Julian says:

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

• ganter says:

21. Julian. says:

HI,
    I have been working really hard trying out new binders and recipes though now I have a problem I can’t get over.
    my 310+ will run though a print but nothing is actually printed.
    I am getting no errors at all and the system tells me all is ok.
    I can purge my print head ok too.
    I am running the XB1 binder on the sugar recipe.
    Any ideas?

• ganter says:

Julian, for the digital heads (on the 310) you can’t run XB1 straight up. It is either too thin
      (too low of viscosity) or has the wrong surface tension (i.e. too low). Try adding 5-7% glycol
      (start with drugstore glycerin).

• Julian says:

Ah, I see i have made a mistake.
        I am using glycerin though I have mis calculated.
        I will give it a go let you know how It works out.

Have you found anything else that can replace alcohol but have the same effect?
        Cheers.

• ganter says:

what is the problem with alcohol? isopropyl alcohol is inexpensive. Have you tried cheap sake wine? (we understand it works great).

• Julian says:

Nothing. I am just interested to see if it is possible.
            Sake wine does not suit my needs.

I was speaking with a food scientist last week who has managed to print only water through a hp head. Not additives. So i know its possible though they were unwilling to share on how they achieved it.

22. Julian. says:

HI,
    I can purge my print head ok too.
    Any ideas?

• ganter says:

(start with drugstore glycerin).

• Julian says:

Ah, I see i have made a mistake.

Cheers.

• ganter says:

• Julian says:

Sake wine does not suit my needs.

23. Julian says:

Success, I managed to produce my first successful sugar print.
    When it comes to saturation setting its still a bit off, though close.
    In another post it speaks about a 1:40 ratio which I almost have though I can’t seem to adjust the core setting separately from the shell. Is this normal?

• ganter says:

It should be possible. If you set shell and then hit tab key, the software will set what it thinks a good core value. You can override that value.

24. Julian says:

• ganter says: