Nicholas C. Lewis is another student who has taken several of our RP classes.   He has always been pushing us to print  interesting things.  Last term, he designed a most interesting ceramic horn (think hunting horn).   February has seen many hearts in our lab and Nick did not disappoint.

After working on an assignment of implicit solid modeling (equation based modeling or isosurface modeling) , we saw some interesting hearts in a print bed.

{Build plate with interlocking hearts and a new circular maze.}

We are happy to present his lastest amazing circular maze (including a loose marble which is captured inside).

Nick’s statement:

I have always loved to make things and 3D printing provides a very interesting and liberating way of making almost anything you can think of.  If you can model it you can make it.  This allows you to make things like a maze complete with trapped ball or interlocking hearts.

{Notice the ball just peaking out in the lower right image.}

When the cost of the build powder is sufficiently low, we have the freedom to  allow our students’ creativity to shine.

4 Comments on Nick steps up to the circular podium…

1. Jeffrey Crowe says:

I am enjoying the complexity of forms you all are producing.
    (slightly off topic, Mark) I saw awhile back that you were going to be in the e-merge show at Bullseye Gallery. I was thinking it was going to be some sort of printed sculpture. I saw the image yesterday posted on their website. Are you going to post about the design and making of the piece? I was looking at the surface of it. Where did you end up on the final process temperature? Did you make several versions and fire them at different temperatures?

Jeff

• admin says:

Jeffrey, we would be glad to post something about the piece @ Emerge 2010 for Bullseye. They actually posted a slightly different picture of the piece. Please check out the Dec. 8 posting “Testing a New Glass Powder” as that is the real piece after firing. The piece is very lightly sintered. We are currently playing with some Cone 020 glazes and some other glass infiltrants. Cheers!

2. Jeffrey Crowe says:

Jeff

• admin says: