I had the fortune to attend the 2011 Glass Art Society (GAS) Conference in Seattle over the last few days.    The 2011 GAS was the 41st annual conference.   As it was my first time attending, I wasn’t really to sure exactly what I was in store but I was clearly excited.

gas2011

When many American artists think about glass, they tend to think about Seattle as it has a rich history in the art glass community.  From the Pilchuck Glass School founded in 1971 by glass artist Dale Chihuly and patrons Anne Gould Hauberg and John H. Hauberg to the the Tacoma Museum of Glass to the hundreds of glass studios in the Puget Sound area.  It seems that everywhere you look there is some type of glass studio (only to be out done by Starbuck’s stores perhaps).    Thus it was a fitting place…

The GAS program was so rich and provided so many activities that I really had tough choices as the program had many parallel tracks.

The Corning Musuem of Glass sent their mobile hot shop which provided a completely functionally glass studio within the conference center (really an amazing sight).

The Pratt Fine Arts Center hosted dozens of demonstrations as did the Seattle Glassblowing Studio (locally know as 5th avenue).

I took in as much as I could, but wished I had time for more (yes, Jim Moore had his booth in the technical/vendor display area).

Many  things really stood out — the GAS organizing committee did an amazing job (especially with a multi-location venue) — tours, lectures, demonstrations, crazy glass blowing antics, art galleries, auctions, displays,  food, and best of all outstanding people.

One of my favorite demonstrations was called Cooking with Neon by Sarah Blood.    She did an amazing job replicating a TV cooking show format.   Sarah both discussed her art/passion — Neon Sculpture AND actually made a Victorian Sponge Cake before our very eyes.    Needless to say she properly offered us teak and cake (which we all enjoyed).

gas2011cooking

Sarah produced cakes with neon baked inside!!! Amazing and good tasting.

One of the last presentations that I took in was  “Technology meets Glass” by Vanessa Cutler.  She provided a wonderful presentation of waterjet cutting as applied to art glass and an overview of other “high tech” processes applicable to glass (things like additive manufacturing and CNC cuttings, 3D scanning, etc).

2 Comments on It’s a GAS 2011

1. Patty says:

So glad to hear you had a great time at your first conference! Hope to see you again! If you haven’t had a chance please complete our attendance survey. http://www.glassart.org/Evalua.....rence.html

Thanks so much for being a member and spreading the good word!

-Patty Cokus
    Executive Assistant, Glass Art Society

2. Patty says:

-Patty Cokus
    Executive Assistant, Glass Art Society