What is the role of falls in osteoporosis fracture incidence?
Most non-spine osteoporotic fractures result from falls. Here are some facts regarding falls in the elderly.
- Between 5 and 10 percent of falls in elderly women will result in fracture (1).
- One percent of falls in the elderly cause a severely disabling hip fracture (1).
- Most people over age 80 have at least one fall per year (2).
- Falls often result in isolation and depression (2).
- Fall prevention is an important part
- Sattin RW. Falls among older persons: A public health perspective. Annu Rev Public Health 1992; 13: 489-508.
- Steinweg KK. The changing approach to falls in the elderly. Am Fam Physician 1997; 56(7): 1815-23.
- Close J, Ellis M, Hooper R, Glucksman E, Jackson S, Swift C. Prevention of falls in the elderly trial (PROFET): A randomised controlled trial. Lancet 1999; 353(9147): 93-7.