The University of Washington, Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery remains steadfast in our mission to provide excellence and leadership in all aspects of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery by teaching, undertaking research, and providing exemplary clinical practice in the broad field covered by the discipline.
The cornerstones of this mission are:
1. To provide comprehensive and state of the art care to a broad patient population with disorders in all aspects of otolaryngology-head and neck surgery.
2. To comprehensively train resident physicians, fellows, medical students, and graduate students.
3. To maintain and further develop our preeminence in research in the broad areas of disorders affecting the organs of communication.
4. To provide consultation and be a resource for the community and the region.
5. To further develop, promote, and advance the specialty of otolaryngology-head and neck surgery by aligning ourselves with the missions and goals of UW Medicine and collaborative efforts locally, nationally, and internationally.
Our Department is well positioned to continue to grow in all areas of otolaryngology in 2014. UW Otolaryngology research efforts continue on a broad front with robust work and grant activity on a wide variety of hearing related topics, outcomes studies in sleep surgery, rhinology, head and neck cancer, and sinus and skull base surgery, molecular and genetic profiles of oral cavity cancer, and vascular and lymphatic malformations. The results of our efforts in clinical practice, outcomes, translational research, and otolaryngology education are lending themselves toward new therapeutic strategies and improved treatment outcomes. We will have a strong presence in the new UW Medicine Eastside Specialty clinic to maximize access and benefit to our patients. We have the highest quality of individuals, facilities, and institutional backing to carry out our mission. The commitment and efforts of our faculty, staff, residents, fellows, and friends of UW Otolaryngology make this all happen every day of the year.
With great appreciation,
Neal D. Futran , MD, DMD
Allison T. Wanamaker Professor and Chair
Director of Head and Neck Surgery
Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery