Tanya K. Meyer, MD
Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
Voice, Swallowing, Airway disorders
Site(s) of Practice, Maps, and Directions
University of Washington Medical Center
Harborview Medical Center
Areas of Expertise
Vocal Fold Paralysis
Uses of Botuliunum Toxin in the Head and Neck
MD--San Diego School of Medicine, University of California, 1996
BS--University of California, Los Angeles, 1992
Fellowship—Laryngology, New York Center for Voice and Swallowing Disorders
Residency—Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Medical College of Wisconsin
Fellowship—Oncology Research, University of North Carolina, Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center
General Surgery Internship & Residency—University of Rochester
American Board of Otolaryngology, 2005
State of Washington
"I see each patient as an individual. I aim to understand his or her illness and treat it in the context of the patient's overall health status and specific life needs. This varies greatly from patient to patient: for some individuals, I educate them regarding their health; for others, I may perform an invasive surgery. I view medicine as entering a partnership with my patients. My goal is that we treat each other with respect, compassion, patience and humility."
- 2009 Faculty Teaching Award
Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD
- 2004 Resident Teaching Award
Department of Otolaryngology and Communication Sciences
Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI
Significant Abstracts and Articles
Evaluation of unilateral vocal fold immobility.
Voice disorders in the workplace: Productivity in spasmodic dysphonia and the impact of botulinum toxin.
Disease-specific self-efficacy in spasmodic dysphonia patients.
Closure of tracheoesophageal fistula with two-layer tracheal-esophagoplasty and tracheal advancement.
Retrospective evaluation of laboratory-based diagnostic tools for cervical necrotizing fasciitis.
A rare complication of tracheal intubation: Tongue perforation.
A need for otolaryngology education among primary care providers.
Klebsiella pneumoniae cervical necrotizing fasciitis originating as an abscess.
The treatment of laryngeal dystonia (spasmodic dysphonia) with botulinum toxin injections.
Lysis of interarytenoid synechia (Type I posterior glottic stenosis): Vocal fold mobility and airway results.
Crack cocaine-induced supraglottitis.
Is laryngeal electromyography useful in the diagnosis and management of vocal fold paresis/paralysis?
Complete resolution of laryngeal amyloidosis with radiation treatment.
Myiasis of the external and middle ear.
Tardive laryngeal dystonia due to metoclopramide. (Poster 19)
The larynx for neurologists.
Teaching Video NeuroImage: Spasmodic dysphonia: Adductor and abductor.
Laparoscopic nissen fundoplication effectively relieves symptoms in patients with laryngopharyngeal reflux.
Singer's dystonia: first report of a variant of spasmodic dysphonia.
Dose response of topical anesthetic on laryngeal neuromuscular electrical transmission.
Laryngeal function in individuals with Parkinson's disease.
Speech intelligibility and quality of life in head and neck cancer survivors.
Contemporary diagnostic and management techniques for extraesophageal reflux disease.
- Meyer TK, Wolf J. “Lysis of Interarytenoid Synechia (Type I Posterior Glottic Stenosis): Vocal Fold Mobility and Airway Results.” American Layngological Society at the Combined Otolaryngology Spring Meeting. Chicago, Illinois. April 2011.
- Golub J, Weisbrod P, Mong S, Meyer TK. “Kliebsiella Pneumoniae Descending Cervical Necrotizing Fasciitis Originating as a Paraglottic Abscess.” American Laryngological Society at the Combined Otolaryngology Spring Meeting. Chicago, Illinois. April 2011.
- Sumida YA, Mong S, Andrews W, Meyer TK. “Swallowing Function after Radical Neck Debridement in Cervical Necrotizing Fasciitis.” Dysphagia Research Society. San Antonio, Texas. March 2011.
- Misono S, Meyer TK, Merati AL. “Voice outcomes after treatment of early laryngeal cancer.” Annual meeting of American Laryngological Association. Las Vegas, Nevada. April 28, 2010.
- Meyer TK. "Holmium: YAG Laser for Transoral Surgery of the Upper Airways." The Voice Foundation. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. June 2009.
- Meyer TK, Neuner G, Badros A, Regine W. "Laryngeal amyloid misdiagnosed as muscle tension dysphonia." American Broncho-Esophagological Association (COSM). May 2009.
- Ego-Osula B, Wright R, Sewell D, Meyer TK. "A Modified Rabbit Model for the Endoscopic Creation and Study of Benign Tracheal Stenosis." Combined Southern and Middle Section Meeting. Bonita Springs, Florida. January 2009.
- Bernstein W, Moshe J, Meyer T, George I, Masterangelo M, Park A. "3D VR Preoperative Imaging of Complex Upper Airway Anatomy." AAO-HNSF Annual Meeting. Washington DC. September 2007.
Laryngeal manifestations of reflux disease
Airway cicatrix and stenosis