We are now accepting applications for our June 2017 Retreat!
The OWRC’s Dissertation Writing Retreat brings together a group of graduate students who are interested in making significant progress on their dissertations during the interim between Spring and Summer Quarters with a supportive group of tutors and librarians.
When: June 12-16, 2017, 9:00 am-4:00 pm
Where: The OWRC, Odegaard Library 121
Our Dissertation Retreat Provides:
- A daily consultation with an OWRC writing tutor
- Targeted workshops on topics related to the academic and emotional challenges of the dissertation project
- 4-5 hours of focused writing time throughout the day
- Subject librarians available for consultations throughout the week
- An encouraging environment to make progress on your writing
Our Mission: At the OWRC, we value conversation and collaboration. We believe that writing is never just writing; it’s working through a difficult set of ideas and figuring out how to participate in conversations. In sessions with peer tutors, there will be a lot of dialogue about your work – thoughtful questions, lively brainstorming, idea mapping, etc. The retreat will provide plenty of quiet writing time, but we’ll also create space for you to talk with and learn from one another. These interdisciplinary conversations have been some of the most positive takeaways for past participants
In order to apply for a spot, submit your application through our Catalyst site: https://catalyst.uw.edu/collectit/dropbox/owrc/39875
- Letter of Interest: A statement (max. 1 single-spaced page) describing how participating in this retreat will help you at this stage of dissertating
- Project Summary/Abstract: A description of your project (max. 1 single-spaced pages). Because so much of the retreat is devoted to sustained writing time, writers whose prospectuses have not yet been approved by their departments should wait until next year to apply.
- Your Academic CV (optional)
Retreat participants will be selected based on our assessment of each applicant’s progress, difficulties, and on our experience of who will benefit the most from our approach.
Note: Participants will be asked to contribute $40 for food and supplies. Need-based scholarships available.
Applications due: Friday, April 7 at 5:00 pm
Questions? Email OWRC (firstname.lastname@example.org)