The following policies attempt to insure that tutors will be available to you and others equally:
During a normal week, you may sign up for 3 appointments.
During exceptionally busy weeks, you may sign up for 1 appointment.
If you miss (fail to show up for) a total of 3 appointments, you will lose the ability to sign up via the website for the rest of the year.
If you must cancel an appointment, please do so promptly — at the minimum 2 hours in advance.
Appointments cancelled later than this will count as missed appointments — with the following exception:
Timely Cancellations: EXCEPTION
An appointment booked 25 minutes or less and cancelled at least 30 minutes prior to an appointment will not count as a missed appointment.
Software has bugs. Life has glitches. If you feel we have made a mistake, or that you have missed an appointment due to special circumstances, please contact our center using the information listed below.
Getting the Most from Your Session
- Materials related to the writing project you're currently working on. Any drafts, notes, comments from earlier readers, the assignment prompt (if there is one), or source material (readings) you're working with can help our tutors understand your writing situation. These may be in hard copy (printed) or digital — we are happy to use either.
- Your writing — or no writing. We can help at any stage. Bring what you have, but don't be afraid to come even if you don't have anything but questions.
- Openness, flexibility, and energy. The writing session only works if you are an active participant. Be open and willing to talk through your ideas, goals, and difficulties!
Other Things to Know:
- Come on Time! The writing center gets busy. If you are more than ten minutes late to your session, we will have to give your session away to another waiting writer. When you arrive, take a seat. Because our sessions run back-to-back, our tutors are likely helping another writer and will be right over to help you once they're done.
- Book early and often. Leave yourself time to make changes. Appointments often fill up 2 weeks in advance.
- If you have to cancel, you must do so more than 2 hours in advance of your appointment time in order to avoid future-booking penalties. After 3 "no-shows" or belated cancellations in a year, a user is banned from the system. Please respect our tutors and other writers who would like to work with us by making full use of the sessions you reserve.