In 2009 UW physicians specializing in Palliative Medicine developed the UW Palliative Fellowship Medicine Program to train physicians to meet the health care needs of an aging population as well as severe and chronic illness affecting individuals of all ages.
The fellows learn the dynamics of Interdisciplinary Teams, the function of members, and provide direct input as a team member and leader in the roles of hospice physician and Medical Director, respectively.
Goals/objectives of our program:
- Train physicians to be experts in caring for patients with multiple, chronic and progressive illnesses
- Training in new models of Interdisciplinary Palliative Medicine
- Training for Leadership in Palliative Medicine
- Training in policy development and program evaluation
- Develop culture for life long learning to meet the challenging and changing health care delivery and social conditions for patients