Paying for Graduate School


Tuition rates are maintained by the Office of Planning and Budgeting and are based on your grade classification, residency status, tuition tier and the total number of credit hours for which you are registered. This includes classes that you audit.


In order for University of Washington students to be considered residents for tuition purposes, they first must be able to prove that they are U.S. citizens, have U.S. permanent resident cards, or have a qualifying visa (A, E, G, H1, I, K or L).

To be classified or reclassified as residents, for tuition and fee purposes, students must establish a bona fide domicile in the state of Washington primarily for purposes other than education for the period of one year immediately prior to classification as residents.

Non-resident students who are enrolled for more than 6 credits a quarter will be presumed to be in the state of Washington for primarily educational purposes. Such period of enrollment shall not be counted toward the establishment of a bona fide domicile of one year in this state unless the students prove they have, in fact, established a bona fide domicile in this state primarily for purposes other than education.

Washington state residency guidelines are outlined in legislation. For a more detailed explanation of residence classification, please use the following links to read the relevant Revised Code of Washington and Washington Administrative Code:

Financial Aid

University of Washington's Office of Student Financial Aid is responsible for the major financial aid loan programs for students as well as need-based institutional grant programs. The offices help you determine whether you qualify for aid, assist you in applying for aid and, finally, make sure you receive it. Please explore their website for more information on financial aid.

Financial Resources

University of Washington Graduate School has a number of other ways of funding a graduate education. These include both internal and external sources of funding. The Graduate Funding Information Servicehelps identify these sources. The office holds workshops periodically, schedules individual appointments and also responds to requests via email in order to enable students find the appropriate resources. While their website is extensive, it may be worthwhile to schedule an appointment in order to narrow down your search.

There are other opportunities for funding including the Graduate Opportunities and Minority Achievement Program (GO-MAP), need-based college Work Study Programsand other opportunities for part-time University employment.

Take some time to go through each of these options in order to identify what works best for you.

Assistantship Appointments

The Graduate School offers many opportunities for assistantship appointments on an on-going basis through the academic year. The job listings are forwarded by the IPHG to all current students. Additionally, University of Washington's's job and intership database is available free to all currently enrolled students.


There are fellowships available to students. While a large portion of the fellowships are earmarked for advanced Ph.D and Post-Doctoral students, there are fellowships open to all graduate students, and it is worthwhile for prospective students to take a look at the available fellowships. Eligibility for these fellowships will vary based on the funding agency's requirements and a student's academic status.

Funding Tips

  • Start your funding search at around the same time as your application process. Many grants that set up funding for fall in the next academic year have applications due September-December of the year before. So applications are due almost a year ahead.
  • Make use of tools like SciVal to identify experts in your area of research interest within the Institution. This will help you finetune your funding search based on your interests
  • Look outside UW. The GFIS funding databases link to other institutions, which host excellent search databases where you can specify your discipline or type of funding needed.
  • Sign up for Pivot (formerly Community of Science) to get funding alerts on your pre-specified search criteria.
  • Subscribe to the GFIS blog for the latest funding news.
  • Sign up for a consultation meeting with a funding specialist by emailing