Purchasing Group Committee Meeting - May 4, 2003
Present: Peggy Baldwin, Chair; Anne Girling, Recording Secretary; Heidi Sue Adams, Susan Barnes, Vicki Croft, Dolores Judkins, Susan Long, Pamela Murray, Kathy Murray, Patrice O’Donovan, Nanette Welton
Start Time: 7:40 AM
History - Pamela Murray, Susan Barnes
Reviewed events leading up to PNC’s decision to investigate the need for, and possibility of, establishing a PNC Purchasing Group to negotiate contracts with vendors for group access to desired resources.
WMLA agreement with OVID for access to LWW journals was based on an assessment of participants needs and desires. Cost to each participating library was based on a formula used by the Washington State Library.
Administration of the contract was very time consuming.
Group Purchasing Committee
- Could/would/should PNC become involved in the organization/administration of a Purchasing Group?
- Place on agenda for Oct. Board Meeting. Peggy Baldwin
- Establish and organize a committee to look into the Pros & Cons of Group Purchasing. Pamela Murray, Susan Barnes, PNC Board
Group Purchasing Committee Members
- Potential Committee Members: Pamela Murray - Chair, Susan Barnes - Organization, Nanette Welton - Legal Considerations, Heidi Sue Adams, Kathy Murray, Kathy Martin
- Select members from a representative cross-section of PNC membership. Pamela Murray, Susan Barnes, PNC Board
- Define committee's function, goals, and organization and present to PNC/MLA Board for consideration at Oct meeting. Susan Barnes, Pamela Murray and Committee Members
- Conduct a needs/desires assessment of the PNC membership. Present survey results at October Board meeting. Dolores Judkins
- A variety of vendors and or companies should be evaluated for their ability to provide group purchase contracts.
- Identify and investigate vendors for possible inclusion on a list of group purchase contracts to be pursued by the Committee. Committee Members
- ORCA, BCR, OCLC-PAC, WA State Library - What could/would they offer us?
- Issues to be addressed in the contracts include:
- non-payment by individual institutions
- access cut-off policy
- responsibility for default
Eligibility for inclusion in the Group Purchases
- Should/would non-PNC members be eligible to participate?
To be discussed by the Committee after it has been set up.
- Should we establish a PNC Institutional Membership ($100) that would be required for participation?
- MLA's position - Peggy Baldwin
- Legal issues involved - Nanette Welton
- Have this other Chapters done this? - Vicki Croft
- Can an institution accept inclusion in some contract agreements and decline inclusion in other agreements?
- To be discussed by the Committee after it has been set up.
End Time: 8:40 AM
Respectfully submitted by: Anne Girling, Recording Secretary