Please see details below for an internship opportunity with the King County Medical Examiner’s Office. There is also feedback from a recent UW student who has worked in this position for the last two years at the end.
Intern for Medical Examiner’s Office
PUBLIC HEALTH – SEATTLE & KING COUNTY
Prevention Division/Medical Examiner’s Office
Hourly Rate Range: $16.59 (Intern)(2018 pay scale)
OPEN: May 23, 2018 CLOSE: June 6, 2018
WHO MAY APPLY: This is an Administrative Autopsy Intern position for the Autopsy Section of the King County Medical Examiner’s Office. This is a 20 hour per week position and will begin July 1st 2018. Individuals interested in medicine and forensic science should consider this opportunity as a great experience. Enrollment in a Washington State college is a requirement to apply.
WHERE TO APPLY: Resume and page of intent to apply for position should be sent to: Medical Examiner’s Office, Attention: Tony Stewart, Deputy Chief Administrator, 325 Ninth Avenue HMC, Box 359792, Seattle, WA 98104 or emailed to: Jessica.email@example.com
Resume and intent letter must be received by 4:00 p.m. on the closing date. Contact Tony Stewart at (206) 731-2884 or Jessa Mahowald at (206) 731-6857 for further inquiries.
FORMS AND MATERIALS REQUIRED: resume and cover letter detailing your background and describing how you meet or exceed the requirements are required.
WORK LOCATION: Medical Examiner’s Office, 908 Jefferson, 2nd Floor, Downtown Seattle.
WORK SCHEDULE: 20 hours per week. Days and hours of work: Autopsy Section involves AM hours.
PRIMARY JOB DUTIES INCLUDE:
This position provides a wide variety of technical support service functions. Duties include;
- Assist the Autopsy Section staff with autopsy preparations.
- Assist in holding and moving bodies for photography.
- Provide radiographic assistance including developing.
- Assist in the preparation of bodies for funeral home.
- Labeling samples for toxicology.
- Attend autopsy staff meetings and KCMEO weekly conferences.
- Assist in preparation of paperwork as needed.
- Assist pathologists with autopsy procedures.
- Other related duties as requested.
- Knowledge of physiology and anatomy.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- One year experience working with a computer;
- Knowledge in operating standard office equipment;
- Willingness to commit to a one year internship at the Medical Examiner’s Office;
- Skills in maintaining confidentiality regarding sensitive and private materials;
- Typing skills
- Ability to work on a team.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Ability to deal with death and trauma on an ongoing and daily basis, with the ability to provide sensitive customer service in-person and over the telephone to persons who are grieving and mentally distraught.
- Employees are required to protect the privacy and security of protected health information as defined in State and Federal Law.
- Selected candidate must pass a thorough background investigation.
Feedback from recent UW student:
The Autopsy Intern position at the KCMEO is an incredibly rewarding experience. As an intern, I learned a tremendous amount about the field of medicine, public health, and social justice. I had the opportunity to work alongside pathologists and meet people from different departments, such as prosecutors and police officers. The staff fosters an environment that encourages teamwork and learning, and it really solidified my interest in the medical field and public health. I highly recommend this internship to those who are interested in gaining a better perspective of the field of medicine and public health and are ready for a unique experience that is not found anywhere else.
Autopsy Intern 2016-2018