The “UM-SMART” summer research program is designed to provide an opportunity for highly motivated and talented undergraduates interested in careers as physician scientists to enhance their science and academic skills. Applicants will gain valuable research experience by performing full-time research under the direction of a faculty mentor in a research lab.
- Application opens: October 15, 2018
- Application deadline: January 18, 2019
- Summer Program dates: May 28-Aug 4, 2019
This is a funded program. Students receive a stipend of $4,400 plus double occupancy dormitory housing.
The main scientific focus of the summer program is to provide full-time laboratory biomedical research, as well as
- Two half day clinical shadowing experiences
- Online MCAT preparation
- Poster presentation and seminars
- “Big Sib” Program
- Attend 3-day MSTP annual scientific retreat
The program is targeted towards undergraduate students who are US citizens or permanent US residents who come from an educational, cultural, or geographic background that is underrepresented in the sciences, or students who have experienced financial hardship or students with disabilities.
In addition, applicants must:
- Complete sophomore year by June 1, 2019
- Maintain a minimum 3.2 grade point average
- Complete 100 hours of research lab experience by June 1, 2019
- Submit two letters of recommendation, one of which must be from a research mentor or instructor
To apply to the UM-SMART program, follow this link: https://umich-smart.smapply.io/prog/um-smart_summer_undergraduate_research_program/
For more information please visit their website: https://medicine.umich.edu/medschool/education/md-phd-program/um-smart-undergrad-summer-program