The Puget Sound Writing Project is influenced by these core beliefs: teachers who write are the best teachers of writing and teachers are the best teachers of teachers.
PSWP instructs teachers how to be better writers so they can become better teachers of writing. We sponsor Summer Institutes, an Annual Conference, in-school in-service programs, and collaborate with other efforts to promote writing across the curriculum.
Affiliated with the National Writing Project, PSWP is part of the University of Washington English Department. PSWP serves the Seattle area and all across Western Washington.
Announcing the PSWP Summer Lineup!
Here's information regarding the summer classes that will be available for registration soon. If you have any questions or want further information contact PSWP director, Holly Stein at email@example.com or 206-790-0266 (cell).
- PSWP Summer Invitational Institute
- This institute places an emphasis on developing teachers as writers and instructional leaders; best practices in literacy; research; CCSS connection; responding to reading with writing; writing process; writing assessment; collaboration with school PLCs and PD efforts.
- Participants will receive 10 credits upon completion of the class. Cost is $850. Meeting times are from 8:30am-3:30pm, June 30th-July 3rd and July 7th-11th, PLUS seven Saturdays during the 2014-15 school year. Instructors will be the PSWP directors, Holly Stein and Bob McNamara.
- PSWP Reading and Writing for the Common Core: ELA and Social Studies
- This class focuses on language arts and social studies content; CCSS standards; instructional strategies in reading, writing, and speaking.
- Participants will receive 6 credits upon completion of the class. Cost is $650. Meeting times are from 8:30am-3:30pm, August 4th-8th and August 11th-15th. Core instructor will be Kim Norton, with guest instructor Doug Selwyn.
- PSWP Writing Workshop
- This class focuses on writing workshop; writing time, writing groups; craft lessons; reflection. Genre is open; craft lessons will focus on memoir, article writing, the personal narrative. We welcome anyone who teaches.
- Participants will receive 3 credits upon completion of the class. Cost is $450. Meeting times are from 8:30am-12:30pm, July 14th-17th and July 21st-24th. Instructors will be Holly Stein and Kim Norton.
- PSWP Reading Skills Workshop
- This class centers on close reading instruction; strategies for reading reluctant readers; building vocabulary and comprehension skills.
- Participants will receive 3 credits upon completion of the class. Cost is $450. Meeting times are from 8:30am-4:00pm, August 18th-22nd. Instructor will be Janine Brodine.
- PSWP Poetry Writing Workshop
- This is a workshop on writing and reading poetry. The class will include discussion of craft and plenty of time for writing and writing groups. Focus on poetic use of tone, language, and other key elements of the genre.
- Participants will receive 3 credits upon completion of the class. Cost is $450. Meeting times are from 8:30am-1:00pm, August 11th-15th and August 18th-19th. Instructor will be Bob McNamara.
PSWP Newsletter 2013
Click here to view our newsletter, released January 2013. This document contains important announcements about upcoming events and interesting stories relevant to the program.