Writing Institutes for Teachers
All PSWP institutes welcome K-16 teachers who want to deepen their knowledge about the teaching of writing. Teachers will have the opportunity to practice their own writing, investigate an educational topic of your choice related to writing, share your teaching strategies, and learn efficient strategies from other teachers.
Coming this Summer 2014:
- PSWP Summer Invitational Institute
- This institute places an emphasis on developing teachers as writers and instructional leaders; best practices in literacy; research; CCSS connection; responding to reading with writing; writing process; writing assessment; collaboration with school PLCs and PD efforts.
- Participants will receive 10 credits upon completion of the class. Cost is $850. Meeting times are from 8:30am-3:30pm, June 30th-July 3rd and July 7th-11th, PLUS seven Saturdays during the 2014-15 school year. Instructors will be the PSWP directors, Holly Stein and Bob McNamara.
- PSWP Reading and Writing for the Common Core: ELA and Social Studies
- This class focuses on language arts and social studies content; CCSS standards; instructional strategies in reading, writing, and speaking.
- Participants will receive 6 credits upon completion of the class. Cost is $650. Meeting times are from 8:30am-3:30pm, August 4th-8th and August 11th-15th. Core instructor will be Kim Norton, with guest instructor Doug Selwyn.
- PSWP Writing Workshop
- This class focuses on writing workshop; writing time, writing groups; craft lessons; reflection. Genre is open; craft lessons will focus on memoir, article writing, the personal narrative. We welcome anyone who teaches.
- Participants will receive 3 credits upon completion of the class. Cost is $450. Meeting times are from 8:30am-12:30pm, July 14th-17th and July 21st-24th. Instructors will be Holly Stein and Kim Norton.
- PSWP Reading Skills Workshop
- This class centers on close reading instruction; strategies for reading reluctant readers; building vocabulary and comprehension skills.
- Participants will receive 3 credits upon completion of the class. Cost is $450. Meeting times are from 8:30am-4:00pm, August 18th-22nd. Instructor will be Janine Brodine.
- PSWP Poetry Writing Workshop
- This is a workshop on writing and reading poetry. The class will include discussion of craft and plenty of time for writing and writing groups. Focus on poetic use of tone, language, and other key elements of the genre.
- Participants will receive 3 credits upon completion of the class. Cost is $450. Meeting times are from 8:30am-1:00pm, August 11th-15th and August 18th-19th. Instructor will be Bob McNamara.
Invitational Writing Institutes
PSWP 14-credit Summer Invitational Institutes provide an intensive writing experience that offers teachers opportunities to write better and to learn classroom strategies to improve the writing of their students.
NIOST Practitioner Fellowship
A professional development institute opportunity for teachers. This is a collaborative effort between PSWP and School's Out Washington.
For more information, click here !
2010 PSWP Endowment Fund Scholarship: Thanks to the generosity of the PSWP alumni and friends, we are pleased to offer several PSWP Endowment Fund Scholarships of $500. The scholarships are available to help defray the tuition for the 2010 Invitational Institute. To apply, write a brief letter describing a way that you have created community in either your classroom or your school through writing. Submit the letter with your application to the PSWP 2009 Summer Invitational Institute.
Sponsor Scholarships: PSWP Teacher Consultants (who have completed on Invitational Institute) can grant one $250 scholarship. Please send a brief letter from the TC with your application.
Other 2010 Scholarships: A limited amount of PSWP funds are made available on a need basis. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for details.