As a department, we feel that excellent psychotherapy training is essential for all psychiatry residents, regardless of their ultimate career goals. Psychotherapy training at UW includes clinical and didactic experiences designed to help the resident progress from understanding basic principles underlying all forms of psychotherapy to familiarity with more specialized psychotherapeutic approaches.
- Develop interviewing skills with acutely ill patients
- Develop empathic communication skills
- Meet weekly with your off-ward supervisor, a psychiatrist who is not your attending physician, to discuss cases and develop empathic listening skills.
- Attend interviewing seminars where a faculty member models interviewing skills with a psychiatric inpatient.
- Introductory lectures
- Psychodynamic psychotherapy
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy
- Dialectical-behavioral therapy
- Supportive therapy
- Group and family therapy
- Case formulation exercises
- Learn principles common to all types of psychotherapy
- Develop skills in supportive psychotherapy
- Develop basic skills in either cognitive behavioral or psychodynamic therapy
- Begin your continuity clinic at Harborview, UWPOC, or VAMC
- Attend seminars which teach therapy through textbooks and resident case review
- 4-Month supportive psychotherapy seminar
- 6-Month seminar in either cognitive behavioral or psychodynamic therapy
- Attend weekly individual psychotherapy supervision and group caseload supervision
- Introduction to Psychotherapy, a highly interactive course in small group format covering conceptual approaches to different schools.
- Motivational interviewing workshop
- Learning theory didactic
- Psychodynamic theory course
Develop basic skills in either cognitive behavioral therapy or psychodynamic therapy, whichever was not completed in your PGY-2 year.
- Full-time outpatient work
- Continuity clinic at least 1 day per week
- On-site supervision at each of your clinical sites
- A minimum of 2 hours of individual psychotherapy supervision
- Completion of the psychotherapy seminar not completed in your PGY-2 year
- Weekly Clinical Interaction Seminar using resident case material to explore countertransference and the doctor-patient relationship.
- 6 Months of weekly personal psychotherapy provided free of charge by clinical faculty OR 6 months of weekly supervision focused on what you bring to the therapeutic relationship.
- Couples therapy
- Group psychotherapy
- Integrating medications and psychotherapy
- Normal development
- Cross-cultural and spiritual aspects of treatment
This year is largely elective and exposure to psychotherapies varies by resident interest
- Continuity Clinic one half day per week or more
- At least 2 hours per week of individual psychotherapy supervisors
- Advanced psychodynamic psychotherapy
- Interpersonal therapy
- Content is influenced by the R4 group and has recently included advanced psychotherapy topics.
Specialized Training Available in PGY-3 or PGY-4 Year
- Advanced psychodynamic therapy
- Short-term dynamic psychotherapy
- Advanced cognitive behavioral therapy
- Dialectical behavioral therapy
- Couples and family therapy
- Integrative therapy
- Cognitive processing therapy for PTSD
- Behavioral Activation
- Cognitive behavioral analysis system of psychotherapy for chronic depression (CBASP)