10 Ways to Take a Soul Shower
10 Ways to Take a Soul Shower
Midterms got you down? Micro-aggressions eating away at your soul? Do you just want to take an extensive nap? Or eat cereal while not wearing pants? Do you need a refreshing practice to shake up your day?
Or do you ever feel so dirty and sweaty and tired and stressed that all you want is to take a long, steamy and calm shower? When you finally take that amazing shower, do you feel (perhaps temporarily) cleansed of your worries and INVINCIBLE and ready to boogie through life as a social justice super human?
As you might have guessed, all of these incredibly specific leading questions are getting at the idea that I believe showers can have a transformative effect on one’s day and mindset. Of course, everyone experiences showers differently so, if this isn’t your takeaway, that’s understandable.
But, it is this belief in showers that brings me to ask this question: What if you could take this experience and apply it to your… soul?
So, through a collaborative effort with Q Center staff, we brainstormed 10 ways to take a SOUL SHOWER!
- Dance really hard. Or move your body in whatever way feels good. It is recommended to get really sweaty. And possibly wear glitter. And try not to give a damn about how ‘silly’ you might look. Whether you are alone or in a crowded dancey setting, this can be an amazing soul shower. Then, pair it with a real shower to wash the sweat off.
- Laugh so hard that you:
- Pee your pants. Just a little.
- Squirt some liquid out of your nostrils.
- Your eyes water.
- My smiling muscles hurt.
- Spoon or snuggle or cuddle another being. This can take many forms. You can spoon a friend, a lover, a kitten, a pillow…and your cuddling can take many shapes!
- Write a poem, letter or a sketch. Then, if you feel like it:
- Throw it away
- Tear it up and keep the pieces in a envelope.
- Burn it (safely).
- Play or a throw in a coin (don’t forget to make a wish!) into a fountain.
- Try something new. Or do something alone. Sometimes being a little uncomfortable in a new space or activity can help you gain perspective.
- Cry and blow your nose in your favorite (preferably soft and cozy) shirt.
- Screaming super loud. Some ideal settings for this yell might be:
- In an elevator.
- In the middle of nowhere.
- On a bridge over the highway.
- Singing or listening to a song really loud. Some recommended songs:
- “Pour Some Sugar On Me” by Def Leppard.
- “Build Me Up Buttercup” by the Foundations.
- “American Girl” by Tom Petty.
- “Dancing On My Own” by Robyn.
- “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” by Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell.
- “Don’t Stop Believing’” by Journey
- Go forth into nature:
- Relaxing & people watching in a park.
- Jumping in a lake.
- Climbing a tree.
We hope these suggestions are generative for your own processes of healing and rest!
If you have any more suggestions for soul shower or self-care activities, email email@example.com.