Gender Neutral Bathrooms
Since opening in 2004, the Q Center consistently advocates for increasing UW’s number of gender-neutral, parent friendly, and physically accessible bathrooms on our Seattle campus. We worked intensively with a very receptive University of Washington administration in order to develop a comprehensive and sustainable plan to increase our numbers of accessible bathroom facilities. In the spring of 2011, the Q Center and the Office of Student Life, secured capital financing through the Office of Planning and Budget to start a bathroom renovations project at the center of UW’s Seattle campus. This renovation project assures that there will be a gender-neutral, accessible bathroom in almost every building within centralized campus.
Here is a list of current* Gender Neutral Bathrooms:
* This is a working list that may be updated in the future
- Architecture Hall (ARCH): 1st or 2nd Floor – 1 stall – WC accessible
- Art Building: 1 on first floor (Room 111); 2 in basement (near Stair #4 and near Room 9)
- Benson Hall (BNS): Third Floor has gendered bathrooms with stalls but enter into rest area, then additional door to restroom, both doors have
- Communications Building (CMU): 1 on Basement level – 1 urinal and 1 stall
- Gowen Hall (GWM): 1 on 2nd floor -1 stall
- Husky Union Building: 1 on the 3rd floor, wheelchair accessible
- Mechanical Engineering Buildnig (MEB): faculty gender neutral restroom
- Parrington Hall: 3rd Floor– Single Stall; Basement– Single Stall (for Evans School students only); Women’s single-stall restroom on 3rd floor (same floor as Gender-Neutral restroom)
- Samuel E. Kelly Ethnic Cultural Center: single stall restrooms on first, second, and third floors
- Savery Hall (SAV): single-stall restrooms on 2nd Mezzanine level and 3rd Mezzanine levels; Thre are two unisex RRs on 2M but one of them has a punch-code lock & could potentially be made more accessible
- School of Social Work: 1 on 2nd floor – 2 stalls
- Oceanography Building (OCE): 1 on the 3rd floor – 2 stalls; 1st floor. Accessible. Lock on Door. Currently not labeled any gender, so could already be gender neutral. No signage.
- Anderson Hall: School of Environmental and Forest Sciences: The single stall on the 2nd floor is labeled “Private Faculty/ Staff Bathroom”
- Eagleson Hall: Gendered bathrooms that could be converted to gender-neutral: 1st floor (Rm 168, which is currently a women’s bathroom w/ one toilet as a women’s bathroom)
- Fishery Science Building (FSH): 2 single stall rooms each on Floors 1, 2, 3
- More Hall Annex (NRB): 1 on 3rd floor
- Oceanography Teaching Building: single room labeled W on 1st floor with a lock. Single M and Single F rooms on B floor, WC accessible
The Ave Project:
The Q Center, with assistance from community advocates, is putting together a list of public bathrooms on the Ave and surrounding area. The main goals of this project are to identify gender-neutral bathrooms so that this information can be passed on to UW students, faculty, staff and visitors and to identify gender-segregated single-stall bathrooms in order to press those establishments to remove gendered signage.
If you have a moment, please add a few locations to this Google Doc! Thanks!