Master’s Degree By-Pass
Students admitted at the pre-master’s level may, under exceptional circumstances, apply to proceed directly to post-master’s study after passing the QERM qualifying examination.
Students pursuing a Master’s Degree By-Pass must:
- Submit to the QERM Graduate Program Coordinator (GPC) a letter of intent to pursue the Master’s Degree By-Pass option as soon as possible after successfully passing the first-year qualifying examination. This notification will provide the GPC with an opportunity to counsel the student on the appropriateness of pursuing the Master’s Degree By-Pass option.
- Establish a Master’s Degree By-Pass committee consisting of faculty who will also serve on their doctoral supervisory committee.
- Provide evidence that they have reached a master’s level of competence in written completion of research. This will take the form of a paper submitted for publication in a peer-reviewed journal. The Master’s Degree By-Pass committee will provide guidance in completing this research paper and will make the final approval to submit the publication.
(If there are co-authors on the paper there must be evidence showing that the student is responsible for the vast majority of the effort on the paper and that the student completed all quantitative effort.)
- Present their research at an advertised public presentation.
- Provide the Master’s Degree By-Pass committee with a preliminary doctoral dissertation proposal.
- Provide evidence that all coursework for the QERM master's degree has been successfully completed.
- Receive approval by the Master's Degree By-Pass Committee and the Graduate Program Coordinator.