QUAL Workshops are free, hands-on tutorials. They are open to any UW graduate students interested in deepening their qualitative multi-method data analysis skills. Workshops are typically offered in Autumn and Spring quarters.
Spring Quarter 2019:
QUAL Workshops: Building a Research Question
- Introduction to QDA software
- The QUAL Workshop tutorial begins with an introduction to qualitative data analysis (QDA) software and a hands-on exercise, starting a research project in ATLAS.ti with qualitative data provided by the instructor.
- Collecting and analyzing theories, claims, and hypotheses
- Using the example project with data provided by the Instructor, workshop participants learn how QDA software could be used to code and annotate source documents for a literature review.
- Collecting and analyzing evidence
- Participants practice adding “preliminary evidence” data to the project – including sample interviews, newspaper articles, website content, video and audio materials.
- Pulling together your research question
- Finally, participants see how QDA software can help reveal connections between their literature readings and preliminary evidence data. The ultimate goal of the exercise is to arrive at a research question, situated in the literature and grounded in evidence.
Instructor: Valentina Petrova