University of Washington

Regional Clinical Dental Research Center

Participation as a Subject

RCDRC Home Page


Current Research

List of Publications

Commercial Funding




for Investigators

Application forms

on funding

Electronic Newsletter

Other important issues

Thank you for your interest in becoming a patient at the Regional Clinical Research Dental Center.

Your participation in studies at the RCDRC contributes towards the advancement of dental science and may offer you many benefits. Although each study has different requirements and benefits, the participient generally receives financial compensation. In addition, some studies offer free dental treatments during the duration of the study, copies of your x-rays and a summary of your dental needs.

The School of Dentistry's teaching clinics accommodate more than 38,000 patient visits per year. Center Investigators have opportunities to select study subjects from a broad spectrum of patients with problems ranging from those commonly encountered in everyday practice to rare and unsual oral and dental diseases. Center research also encompassses special patient populations - the elderly, medically compromised, and other underserved groups especially those with physical or emotional disabilities.

How do I find out about studies?

  1. Call the Regional Clinical Dental Research Center (RCDRC) at (206)685-8132
  2. Study flyers posted on many University of Washington bulletin boards. You will find flyers about studies approved by the Human Subjects Division.
  3. There may also be newspaper or radio advertisments about specific studies.
  4. If you are interested in participation in future dental studies you can call (206)685-8132. You will receive a brief dental examination and be placed on a registry of possible candidates for future studies.
How do I become a patient?

You must call the RCDRC (206) 685-8132 to set up an appointment. You must also agree to participate in signing a consent (either for the registry) or for a specific study. Any data collected will be kept confidential and consistent with clinical research guidelines.


All subjects who volunteer to participate in a research projects at the Regional Clinical Dental Research Center must sign consent to participate. This process is important and ensures that you have had the opportunities to be fully informed about the study, the risks and benefits and to the rights that you are entitled to. Grants and Contract Services (Human Subjects Division) at the University of Washington reviews and approves all research projects involving human subjects. You have the rights to ask questions about the research at any time. At any time you can also decide not to continue your participation in a study. You will not loose any rights you have as a patient within the Health Sciences Center of the University. In case you prefer not to continue most investigators would like you to come for an exit examination.

You will always receive a signed copy of the approved consent form. Once you have signed the consent and agree to participate in a study it is important that you follow the study protocol as described to you by tshes investigator or a member of the investigating team.

What will happen at the first appointment?

As for any dental examination you will be asked to provide a medical and dental history. A licensed dentist and, as appropriate, a dental hygienist or dental assistant, will collect information about your oral health conditions. Dental radiographs and/or clinical oral photographs may be considered. Dependent on the specifics of each study it is not possible to describe other procedures that may be part of the study. Every effort will be made to minimize pain.

Who are the researchers that I will be working with?

In most studies the principle investigator is a specialist in one of several dental specialties and a faculty member in the School of Dentistry at the University of Washington. The principal investigator may also be a physician. Clinic investigators may be dentists, dental hygienists, graduate dental students, pre-doctoral dental students, or dental assistants with expanded duties.

What if I need emergency care while participating in the study?

The consent form will inform you about who is responsible to provide care for you. Most often the prinicpal investigator will care for you or refer you to a specialist as necessary. Any adverse (unwanted) condition will be reported to the Human Subjects Division and to the agency that sponsors the study. Many studies are preformed to get approval by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). FDA has inspectors who perfom audits of study centers. This is in part done to ensure that investigators follow protocol.

Rights and welfare of patients

As a subject in any study at the RCDRC you are entitled to the rights as defined by the consent form you signed. There are no studies ongoing at the RCDRC that have not been pre-authorized by the scientific review process, and by the Human Subjects Division. At any time you can inform the principal investigator that you have decided not to continue the study. You will not be penalized in any way. You will retain all your rights as a patient at any University care Facility independent of your status with a specific study.

Due to study designs the principal investigator may be limited in what procedures can be performed as part of the study or accepted as other treatments. Therefore the principal investigator also has a right to terminate your continuation in a study. In some studies subjects receive monetary compensation. This is often paid at the end of the study. If you decide to exit a study before study end you will be prorated for your participation. Other studies may provide free parking or bus transportation.

You may contact the Humans Subjects Division for further information (206) 543-0098 or vist their web site at Human Subjects Division

How do I get to the RCDRC?

The Regional Clinical Dental Research Center Clinic is located in the D-wing in the University of Washington Health Sciences Center, located on the south side of Pacific Street between 15th Avenue NE and Montlake Boulevard, adjacent to the University of Washington Medical Center.

  • From Interstate 5: Take Exit 168B (Bellevue) heading east. Take the Montlake Exit and follow the signs to the UW and the Triangle Parking Garage.

  • From Interstate 405: Take Exit 14 (Seattle via the Evergreen Point Bridge, Highway 520) heading west. Take the Montlake Exit and follow the signs to the UW and the Triangle Parking Garage.
Where should I park?

Parking is available in the Triangle Parking Garage near the intersection of Montlake Boulevard and Pacific Street. Limited parking is available for disabled patients in the S-1 lot behind the Health Sciences Center; disabled patients should seek directions form the attendant at Gate 7. Participants in studies are provided with free parking passes.

How do I get to the RCDRC by bus?

Several Metro Bus lines stop on Pacific Street and Montlake Boulevard including #44, #43, #48 and #25. Call (206)447-4800 for schedules and fare information.