Safe Table Forum 17
A New Era for Washington Family Planning Services
What Will the ACA Bring?
Thursday, December 13, 2012
Join us on December 13 to share information, ideas, and options for offering publicly funded family planning services in Washington State under the ACA (Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act). Come talk with colleagues across an array of organizations and perspectives about the future of current programs and services, access to services for people left out of the ACA, and how the state, family planning clinics, and providers of primary care can collaborate to ensure that all Washingtonians who need these services on January 1, 2014, and beyond, can get them.
- Forum Agenda (115KB PDF)
- PowerPoint presentation by speaker Deborah Bachrach, Health Care Reform Coverage Opportunities (320KB PDF)
- PowerPoint presentation by speaker Leslie T. Laurie, From the Frontline: Lessons from Massachusetts Health Insurance Reform (540KB PDF)
- PowerPoint presentation by speaker Dana Thomas, Health Reform: Opportunities and Challenges for Family Planning (4MB PDF)
- Deborah Bachrach, JD, is special counsel at Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP, where she has more than 25 years of experience in health policy and financing in both the public and private sectors and an extensive background in Medicaid policy and health care reform. She works with states, providers, plans, and foundations in implementing federal health reform and Medicaid payment and delivery system reforms. Ms. Bachrach has served as an advisor to the Center for Health Care Strategies, the Medicaid and CHIP Payment and Access Commission (MACPAC), the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and the Kaiser Family Foundation, as well as state Medicaid agencies, foundations, health care providers, and other health care organizations.
- Dana Thomas is the Director of Policy and Advocacy at National Family Planning & Reproductive Health Association (NFPRHA). NFPRHA is a membership organization representing the nation's dedicated family planning providers: nurses, nurse practitioners, administrators, and other key health care professionals. For more than 35 years, NFPRHA members have provided comprehensive preventive health care services in thousands of health centers to millions of women and men annually. Ms. Thomas was previously Legislative Counsel at the U.S. House of Representatives. She recieved her J.D. from The George Washington University Law School.
- Leslie Tarr Laurie is the President and CEO of Tapestry Health serving the state of Massachusetts. Ms. Laurie has dedicated herself to health and human services since 1969. Under her leadership, spanning the existence of Tapestry Health, more than 100,000 people have been served in the 3,000-square-mile region of western Massachusetts. She has served as the president of the National Family Planning & Reproductive Health Association (NFPRHA), the chair of the Massachusetts Family Planning Association, and served for many years as the Governor's appointee to the Massachusetts Commission on the Status of Women. Ms. Laurie earned her MS from Columbia University and her BA from Chatham College.
Funding and Sponsorship
Funding and sponsorship of this Safe Table Forum are provided by the Washington State Health Care Authority and the Washington State Office of Financial Management through a grant from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Health Resources and Services Administration, State Health Access Program (Grant #1-H2PHS 16400-01-00); and the Health Policy Center Initiative in the University of Washington Department of Health Services, School of Public Health.