Hardship Withdrawal Petition for Courses

Students may petition the Registrar for a hardship withdrawal if the following apply:

  • You are unable to complete the course in question because of a physical and/or mental debilitation,
  • Unusual or extenuating circumstances beyond your control prevented you from dropping the course by the drop deadline (the last day to drop an individual course for the quarter, see the Academic Calendar).

Hardship Withdrawals will not be granted for course work that has already been applied to a completed degree. Petitions must be filed within two years of the quarter being petitioned. Petitions outside two year time line will not be reviewed without documentation of physical inability to file within guidelines. Grades cannot be changed after a degree has been granted. Grades cannot be restored once a Hardship Withdrawal has been granted.

NOTE! This is NOT a petition for a tuition refund. Tuition Forfeiture Petitions must be submitted to Student Fiscal Services.

The Hardship Withdrawal Petition process is unique to your student status and campus. Please use one of the following:

  1. UW Bothell Campus Students - follow instructions on UW Bothell Hardship Withdrawl
  2. UW Tacoma Campus Students - submit the UW Tacoma Hardship Withdrawal Form
  3. UW Seattle Campus Students

Denied Petition Questions:
For questions regarding a denied petition, please read the Hardship Withdrawal Petition FAQ or email petition@uw.edu.