Moving from a long-term career into the next phase of your life is an ongoing process of transition. You face choices and changes in lifestyles, fitness, social connections, finances, time management and more.
Retirement offers a chance to invest in yourself and focus on personal life goals, opportunities and challenges. The 21st century and the baby boomers are bringing a revolution in thinking about the meaning of “retirement.”
UWRA continues to develop programs that address retirement transitions from this new perspective. We welcome your ideas for Retirement Transitions seminars.
Retirement in the 21st CenturyThe concept of retirement is going through some major changes. Why?
- Longevity is increasing and healthier lifestyles mean people are living longer and with greater agility.
- With more time available, people are using their retirement years to take up new careers, pursue postponed life goals and giving back to the community. New possibilities are opening up.
- As the work force ages older adults will have more opportunities to contribute valuable experience and knowledge. A desire for ongoing involvement in a work setting, as well as the current economy, will lead to at least part-time employment during retirement for many.
- New coalitions through national programs such as Civic Ventures.
UWRA offers seminars, information and on-line resources to inspire your planning for smooth retirement transitions:
2012-2013 Retirement Transitions Series
The UW Retirement Association is pleased to host the UWRA Retirement Transitions Series. These workshops are for new retirees and current UW employees who are thinking about retirement. Each two-hour workshop focuses on the important issues and decisions that new and soon-to-be retirees will face in this new phase of life. The full slate of workshops includes:
- Financial Planning for Retirement (Jan. 29)-This workshop is full. Email email@example.com to be added to the waiting list.
- Later-life Legal Issues/Estate Planning Overview(Jan. 31)-This workshop is full. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the waiting list.
- Non-financial Retirement Planning: Who Will I Be Without My Job? (Feb. 26)-This workshop is full. Email email@example.com to be added to the waiting list.
- Considering End-of-Life Issues: Personal and Ethical Considerations (March 19)
- Long-term Care Insurance: How to Evaluate Policies and Brokers (April 3)