Keith B. Elkon, M.D.
The Mart Mannik, M.D.-Lucile T. Henderson
Endowed Professor in Rheumatology
Head, Division of Rheumatology
Adjunct Professor of Immunology
750 Republican Street
Seattle, WA 98109
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- M.B., B.Ch. (M.D. equivalent) University of the Witwatersr and Medical School M.R.C.P.
(Member of the Royal College of Physicians, United Kingdom)
- Residency, Hammersmith Hospital and Guy's Hospital, London, United Kingdom
- Fellowship, Weill Medical College, Cornell University, New York
CURRENT RESEARCH INTERESTS
Dr. Elkon received his medical degree from the University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg South Africa in 1974 and membership to the Royal College of Physicians (MRCP) in 1978. He received postdoctoral training at the Hammersmith Hospital, London and at the Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York. Dr. Elkon was formerly Director of the Graduate Program in Immunology and Professor of Medicine at Cornell. He was appointed as Head, Division of Rheumatology, at UW in August, 2001.
Dr. Elkon studies how dead and dying cells are processed in the body in lupus. In addition, he is investigating how cells grow and cause inflammation in rheumatoid arthritis and scleroderma. Read more about his research here...
- Lood C, Blanco LP, Purmalek MM, Carmona-Rivera C , De Ravin SS, Smith CK, Malech HL, Ledbetter JA, Elkon KB, Kaplan MJ (co-last authors). Mitochondrial ROS generate NETs enriched in oxidized interferogenic mitochondrial DNA and contribute to lupus-like disease. Nature Medicine, 22:146-53, 2016. PMID: 26779811.
- Sisirak V, Sally B, D'Agati V, Martinez-Ortiz W, Özçakar ZB, David J, Rashidfarrokhi A, Yeste A, Panea C, Chida AS, Bogunovic M, Ivanov II, Quintana FJ, Sanz I, Elkon KB, Tekin M, Yalçınkaya F, Cardozo TJ, Clancy RM, Buyon JP, Reizis B. Digestion of Chromatin in Apoptotic Cell Microparticles Prevents Autoimmunity. Cell. 2016 Jun 9. pii: S0092-8674(16)30585-2. doi: 10.1016/j.cell.2016.05.034. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 27293190
- Barrat FJ, Elkon KB, Fitzgerald KA. Importance of nucleic acid recognition in inflammation and autoimmunity, Ann Rev Med, Ann Rev Med, 67:323-336, 2016 PMID: 26526766.
- Han CY, Tang C, Guevara ME, Wei H, Wietecha T, Shao B, Subramanian S, Omer M, Wang S, O’Brien KD, Wight TN, Vaisar T, de Beer MC, de Beer FC, Osborne WR, Elkon KB, Chait A Serum Amyloid A contributes to inflammation-induced impairment in HDL function. J Clin Invest, 126:796, 2016.
- An J, Woodward JJ, Sasaki T, Minie M, Elkon KB. Cutting Edge: Antimalarial Drugs Inhibit IFN-β Production through Blockade of Cyclic GMP-AMP Synthase-DNA Interaction. J Immunol. 194:4089-93, 2015.
- Sisirak V, Ganguly D, Lewis KL, Couillault C, Tanaka L, Bolland S, D’Agati V, Elkon KB, Reizis B. Genetic evidence for the role of plasmacytoid dendritic cells in systemic lupus erythematosus. J Exp Med, 2011:1969-1976, 2014.
- Colonna L, Lood C, Elkon KB. Beyond apoptosis in lupus. Curr Opin Rheumatol. 26:459-466, 2014.
- Wiedeman A, Santer DM, Yan W, Miescher S, Kaisermann F, Elkon KB. Contrasting mechanisms of interferon-α inhibition by intravenous immunoglobulin after stimulation with immune complexes versus toll like receptor agonists. Arthritis Rheum, 65:2713-23, 2013.
- Giltiay NV, Chappell CP, Sun X, Kolhatkar N, Teal T, Wiedeman A, Kim J, Tanaka L, Buechler MB, Hamerman JA, Imanishi-Kari T, Clark EA, Elkon KB. Overexpression of TLR7 promotes cell-intrinsic expansion and autoantibody production by transitional T1 B cells. J Exp Med, 210:2713-23, 2013.
- Sun XZ, Wiedeman A, Agrawal N, Teal TH, Tanaka L, Hudkins KL, Alpers CE, Bolland S, Buechler M, Hamerman JA, Ledbetter JA, Liggitt D, Elkon KB. Increased RNase expression reduces inflammation and prolongs survival in TLR7 transgenic mice. J Immunol, 190:2536-2543, 2013.
- Elkon KB, Wiedeman A. Type I IFN system in the development and manifestations of SLE. Current Opinion Rheumatol, 24:499-505, 2012.
- Santer DM, Wiedeman AE, Teal T, Ghosh P, Elkon KB. Plasmacytoid dendritic cells and C1q differentially regulate inflammatory gene induction by lupus immune complexes. J Immunol, 188:902-15, 2012. PMCID: 22147767. PMC3238790
- Peng Y-F, Elkon KB. Autoimmunity in MFG-E8-deficient mice is associated with altered trafficking and enhanced cross-presentation of apoptotic cell antigens. J Clin Invest, 121:2221-2241, 2011.
Elkon KB, Rönnblom L. Cytokines as therapeutic targets in SLE. Nat Reviews Rheumatol, 2010.
Elkon Lab | Division Publications | Clinical Faculty
Go to top