Keith B. Elkon, M.D.
The Mart Mannik, M.D.-Lucile T. Henderson
Endowed Professor in Rheumatology
Head, Division of Rheumatology
Adjunct Professor of Immunology
750 Republican Street
Seattle, WA 98109
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- M.B., B.Ch. (M.D. equivalent) University of the Witwatersr and Medical School M.R.C.P.
(Member of the Royal College of Physicians, United Kingdom)
- Residency, Hammersmith Hospital and Guy's Hospital, London, United Kingdom
- Fellowship, Weill Medical College, Cornell University, New York
CURRENT RESEARCH INTERESTS
Dr. Elkon received his medical degree from the University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg South Africa in 1974 and membership to the Royal College of Physicians (MRCP) in 1978. He received postdoctoral training at the Hammersmith Hospital, London and at the Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York. Dr. Elkon was formerly Director of the Graduate Program in Immunology and Professor of Medicine at Cornell. He was appointed as Head, Division of Rheumatology, at UW in August, 2001.
Dr. Elkon studies how dead and dying cells are processed in the body in lupus. In addition, he is investigating how cells grow and cause inflammation in rheumatoid arthritis and scleroderma. Read more about his research here...
- Lood C, Blanco LP, Purmalek MM, Carmona-Rivera C, De Ravin SS, Smith CK, Malech HL, Ledbetter JA, Elkon KB, Kaplan MJ.Neutrophil extracellular traps enriched in oxidized mitochondrial DNA are interferogenic and contribute to lupus-like disease.Nat Med. 2016 Jan 18. doi: 10.1038/nm.4027. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 26779811
Colonna L, Parry GC, Panicker S, Elkon KB.Uncoupling complement C1s activation from C1q binding in apoptotic cell phagocytosis and immunosuppressive capacity. Clin Immunol. 2016 Jan 6;163:84-90. doi: 10.1016/j.clim.2015.12.017. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 26769276
- Han CY, Tang C, Guevara ME, Wei H, Wietecha T, Shao B, Subramanian S, Omer M, Wang S, O'Brien KD, Marcovina SM, Wight TN, Vaisar T, de Beer MC, de Beer FC, Osborne WR, Elkon KB, Chait A. Serum amyloid A impairs the antiinflammatory properties of HDL. J Clin Invest. 2016 Jan 4;126(1):266-81. doi: 10.1172/JCI83475. Epub 2015 Dec 7. PMID: 26642365
- An J, Woodward JJ, Sasaki T, Minie M, Elkon KB.Cutting Edge: Antimalarial Drugs Inhibit IFN-β Production through Blockade of Cyclic GMP-AMP Synthase-DNA Interaction.J Immunol. 194:4089-93, 2015. PMID: 25821216
Barrat FJ, Elkon KB, Fitzgerald KA. Importance of Nucleic Acid Recognition in Inflammation and Autoimmunity. Annu Rev Med. 2016 Jan 14;67:323-36. doi: 10.1146/annurev-med-052814-023338. Epub 2015 Nov 2.PMID: 26526766
Weinstein JR, Quan Y, Hanson JF, Colonna L, Iorga M, Honda S, Shibuya K, Shibuya A, Elkon KB, Möller T. IgM-Dependent Phagocytosis in Microglia Is Mediated by Complement Receptor 3, Not Fcα/μ Receptor. J Immunol. 2015 Dec 1;195(11):5309-17. doi: 10.4049/jimmunol.1401195. Epub 2015 Oct 23. PMID: 26500348
Buyon JP, Cohen P, Merrill JT, Gilkeson G, Kaplan M, James J, McCune WJ, Bernatsky S, Elkon K.
A highlight from the LUPUS 2014 meeting: eight great ideas. Lupus Sci Med. 2015 Jun 30;2(1):e000087. doi: 10.1136/lupus-2015-000087. eCollection 2015. Review. PMID: 26167290
- Lood C, Blanco LP, Purmalek MM, Carmona-Rivera C , De Ravin SS, Smith CK, Malech HL, Ledbetter JA, Elkon KB, Kaplan MJ (co-last authors). Mitochondrial ROS generate NETs enriched in oxidized interferogenic mitochondrial DNA and contribute to lupus-like disease. Nature Medicine, 2015, in revision
- An J, Woodward JJ, Sasaki T, Minie M, Elkon KB. Cutting Edge: Antimalarial Drugs Inhibit IFN-β Production through Blockade of Cyclic GMP-AMP Synthase-DNA Interaction. J Immunol. 194:4089-93, 2015.
- Sisirak V, Ganguly D, Lewis KL, Couillault C, Tanaka L, Bolland S, D’Agati V, Elkon KB, Reizis B. Genetic evidence for the role of plasmacytoid dendritic cells in systemic lupus erythematosus. J Exp Med, 2011:1969-1976, 2014.
- Colonna L, Lood C, Elkon KB. Beyond apoptosis in lupus. Curr Opin Rheumatol. 26:459-466, 2014.
- Wiedeman A, Santer DM, Yan W, Miescher S, Kaisermann F, Elkon KB. Contrasting mechanisms of interferon-α inhibition by intravenous immunoglobulin after stimulation with immune complexes versus toll like receptor agonists. Arthritis Rheum, Jul 9. doi: 10.1002/art.38082. [Epub ahead of print], 2013. Commentary Arthritis Rheum, same issue and Nature Rev Rheum, September, 2013.
- Giltiay NV, Chappell CP, Sun X, Kolhatkar N, Teal T, Wiedeman A, Kim J, Tanaka L, Buechler MB, Hamerman JA, Imanishi-Kari T, Clark EA, Elkon KB. Overexpression of TLR7 promotes cell-intrinsic expansion and autoantibody production by transitional T1 B cells. J Exp Med, 210:2713-23, 2013.
- Sun XZ, Wiedeman A, Agrawal N, Teal TH, Tanaka L, Hudkins KL, Alpers CE, Bolland S, Buechler M, Hamerman JA, Ledbetter JA, Liggitt D, Elkon KB. Increased RNase expression reduces inflammation and prolongs survival in TLR7 transgenic mice. J Immunol, 190:2536-2543, 2013.
- Elkon KB, Wiedeman A. Type I IFN system in the development and manifestations of SLE. Current Opinion Rheumatol, 24:499-505, 2012.
- Peng Y-F, Elkon KB. Autoimmunity in MFG-E8-deficient mice is associated with altered trafficking and enhanced cross-presentation of apoptotic cell antigens. J Clin Invest, 121:2221-2241, 2011.
Elkon Lab | Division Publications | Clinical Faculty
Go to top