Community Life in Neah Bay:
- Found on the West side and tip of peninsula
- Constantly rains there (monsoons), cold
- Cedars, berry bushes, beaches big and sandy.
155 students, grade 7-12, graduating class--20
150 employed by tribal (school) not including government
Community history, legends?
Fishing and logging community
Research project -Whaling
What is the biggest annual Event?
What is the history of the annual event?
- Makah Days -last weekend in August
- Tribal dancing - children-daytime adults-nighttime
- Whaling -want to get back to whaling maybe done during this
Who participates? Do you go to this? Does your family?
- 1926 Makah Days
- 1924 citizen, first celebration of citizen
- 1913 first ceremony - Only got 1/3 of original land
Whale tribe, a committee organizes event. Town parade,
Are their traditions or legends behind the event?
Bone game, played after Indian parties, birthday parties,
How do you find out about it the event?
Everyone knows about it.