Community Description of White Swan and Yakama
Answers to questionnaire on community:
Yakima Valley -White Swan has to be your destination. To get to it
go on Yakima reservation. White Swan is in the valley.
Community history, legends?
- school (A): 200-300 in HS.
- town: estimated 500-2000 in town
very spread out in communities
- stores: Cougar Den - (wash machine, movie store, grocery), no
alcohol sold in town, no tavern
During Indian wars (1800) -Fort Simco -8 or 10 miles beyond White
Legend says Lake Olney has no bottom
What does it value?
- Community values, the school
- Powwows and rodeo
How do people find out information in your community?
What is the biggest weekly event?
What is the biggest annual Event?
- Football and Basketball games
- Herald Republic newspaper
- Train from Yakima - White Swan for tourists: weekly May ->
What is the history of the annual event?
- Powwows ( more than one per year) -about 6 per year
- Dancing in traditional costumes, food, gambling, stick games
Powwows have been going on for a very long time
Who participates? Do you go to this? Does your family?
Yakima covers 14 bands/tribes -most know their tribe now
differs between boys and girls
Are their traditions or legends behind the event?
Hanah Fall Festival -all girls had been parade, White Swan
marches, the parade is not in White Swan
How do you find out about it the event?
Signs, advertising, -4th of July
Powwows -word of mouth, signs in stores
Yakama tribal office newspaper