Student Activities Office
Kane Hall Banners
The University has established a central campus location for student groups (e.g., registered student organizations, ASUW, GPSS) to display banners that promote campus programs and events. Banners will be displayed on the brick elevator shaft on the east corner of Kane Hall (near Suzallo Library).
Banners are displayed on Kane Hall only during fall, winter and spring quarters. Banners are not displayed during finals week and quarter breaks.
Outdoor Banner Policy
- Banners must promote campus programs and events.
- Banners must clearly state date, time, and location of campus event and name of sponsoring student group.
- Banners will be displayed a minimum of one (1) week and a maximum of two (2) weeks.
- In accordance with Use of University Facilities rules (Chapter 478.136 WAC), University facilities may not be used for private or commercial purposes such as sales, advertising, or promotional activities unless they serve an educational purpose. Nor shall University facilities be used to promote or encourage discrimination based on race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, handicap, sexual orientation, or status as a disabled veteran or Vietnam era veteran.
- Banner space cannot be used to advertise events regarding ballot initiatives or candidates who have filed for public office.
- Banners must not include non-UW websites or emails. No exceptions.
- Banners must have grommets. Banners without grommets will not be accepted.
- No student group or event may monopolize banner space.
- Banners must be weather resistant (e.g., vinyl), use lettering that is waterproof and have grommets spaced approximately every 3 feet from which to tie ropes.
- Measurements: minimum of 3′ (H) x 6′ (L); maximum of 3′ (H) x 12′ (L).
- Complete the Banner Reservation Request Form available in SAO.
- Banners will be placed and removed by the University of Washington Grounds Crew on Tuesday mornings throughout the year.
- Banners will not be hung or removed on any other day of the week.
- Banner space shall be reserved through the Student Activities Office. Reservations are first-come, first-served.
- In order to coordinate pickup and delivery, banners shall be delivered to the Student Activities Office by 3:00 p.m. on the Friday prior to hanging on the following Tuesday.
- Banner space shall be reserved by one of the five registered officers only.
- The Student Activities Office will verify whether or not banners meet above criteria. Banners that do not meet the criteria will not be hung.
- Banners no longer displayed can be picked up in the Student Activities Office. Banners not picked up after one week will be disposed of/thrown away