Student Activities Office
Requirements for Registered Status
The following requirements must be met in order for student organizations to register at the University of Washington through the Student Activities Office:
- The stated purpose of the student organization must be consistent with the mission of the University and the organization must primarily serve the needs and interests of the students at the University of Washington.
- The organization must be initiated and controlled by University of Washington students.
- The active (voting) membership and officers or recognized representatives of the organization must be students who are regularly enrolled at the UW. Between quarters, membership is construed to mean the membership of the previous quarter. Summer Quarter is considered a regular quarter. University of Washington Extension, Branch Campus students and students of the ASUW Experimental College are not considered currently enrolled UW students and are not eligible to be active (voting) members.
- The number of University of Washington student members shall always exceed the number of non-student members at meetings and programs not open to the general public.
- Naming a Student Organization: As registered student organizations are not part of the University of Washington, organizations may not use the University of Washington at the beginning of their organization name or “…of the University of Washington” at the end of their organization name. You may use “at the University of Washington” or “UW Chapter” at the end of your organization’s name if your organization is affiliated with a national or regional organization.
Correct Examples: Sailing Club at the University of Washington; Chess Club, University of Washington Chapter.
Incorrect Examples: University of Washington Debate Society; Commuter Students of the University of Washington.
You may not use the term “University of Washington” at the beginning of your organization’s name or “of the University of Washington,” in your organization’s advertising or other materials.
- A student organization which restricts membership on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, handicap, sexual orientation, or status as Disabled Veteran, or Vietnam era veteran, shall not be allowed registered student organization status. An exception is made for fraternities and sororities to be single sex organizations per the implementing regulations of Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972.
- In accordance with Use of University Facilities policy (WAC 478.136.101), university facilities may not be used for private or commercial purposes such as sales, advertising, or promotional activities unless they serve an educational purpose. Therefore, student groups may not register with the SAO if they intend to sell, distribute, market or advertise goods or services on behalf of any off-campus commercial entity or affiliate.
UW Policy: ParticipationUW Policy: Use of University of Washington Facilities
Sample Org Constitution