A Family Affair: Four Manuwals Co-Author Paper

This past October, Professor Emeritus Dave Manuwal had a new paper published in Northwest Science, “Progressive Territory Establishment of Four Species of Neotropical Migrants in Linear Riparian Areas in Western Montana.”

Dave Manuwal

Manuwal’s daughter, Joy Burke, helping with bird surveys in 2008.

The scope of the research alone should grab your attention, as it spanned 40 years from 1968 to 2008, starting from his time as a graduate student at the University of Montana. Take a look at the author list, though, and you’ll see what really distinguished this particular publication for Manuwal: He was able to include his wife, daughter and son in the research, and all four are co-authors on the paper!

“When I decided to re-survey my old Montana study areas,” he says, “I realized this would be a unique opportunity for me to involve my whole family in the effort. It turned out to be one of my most rewarding professional experiences. My wife Naomi helped me with the study in 1968, 1980 and 2008. She has a forest ecology background, so she helped with the plant sampling. My daughter Joy has learned how to identify birds, and she came out in 2008 to help me conduct bird surveys. While doing a bird survey one morning, she happened to flush a mountain lion along a riparian area she was surveying. It was very close! My son John also came out to help mark my study sites for bird and vegetation surveys. It was in early April and it was very cold—about 13 degrees—with lots of snow in places. It was hard work, but enjoyable!”

Photos © Dave Manuwal.

Dave Manuwal

Manuwal’s wife Naomi, who worked on the study with him in 1968, 1980 and 2008, earned a master’s in forest ecology from SEFS in 1976.