Current research is focused on using life cycle assessment methodology to help develop an environmentally and economically sustainable biofuels and biochemicals industry in the Pacific Northwest United States. Specifically, the life cycle research is used to identify the flow of materials from, and emissions to the environment during the production, use, and disposal of bioproducts. The analysis can then be used to highlight steps within a bioproducts life cycle that negatively affect the environment. Options and alternatives that may mitigate these concerns can be evaluated and if deemed viable can be integrated into the development of a bioproducts industry. The ultimate goal of this research is to aid in developing alternative fuels and products that have significantly reduced environmental impacts compared to those currently used today.
When not investigating the biofuels and biochemicals industry, my research is concentrated on finding the perfect balance between family life, skiing, mountain biking, and fly fishing.
Click here to learn more about me and my research
Click here to learn more about a biofuels and biochemicals industry in the Pacific Northwest U.S.
- B.S. Geology, Western Washington University, 2008
- M.S. Environmental and Forest Sciences, University of Washington, 2013
- Budsberg E, Crawford J, Gustafson R, Bura R, Puettmann M. Ethanologens vs. acetogens: Environmental impacts of two ethanol fermentation pathways. Biomass and Bioenergy 2015;83(12):23-31.
- Budsberg E, Rastogi M, Puettmann ME, Caputo J, Balogh S, Volk TA, Gustafson R, Johnson L. Life-Cycle Assessment for the Production of Bioethanol from Willow Biomass Crops via Biochemical Conversion. Forest Products Journal 2012;62(4):305-313.
- “Ethanologens vs. Acetogens: Environmental impacts of two bioethanol fermentation pathways” 15th American Center for Life Cycle Assessment conference in Vancouver, BC, Canada, October 6 – 8, 2015.
- “Biofuels and Bioproducts: Life Cycle Impacts” Advanced Hardwood Biofuels Northwest annual conference. September 10, 2015. Seattle, WA.
- “Techno/economic and life cycle assessment of the production of high value chemicals: acetic acid case study”. Symposium on Biotechnology for Fuels and Chemicals. April 28, 2015. San Diego, CA.
- “Biofuels and Biochemicals: Life Cycle Assessment”. Advanced Hardwood Biofuels Northwest annual conference. September 12, 2014. Davis, CA.
- "Life Cycle Assessment for Advanced Biofuel Production from Poplar Feedstock" 25th Anniversary Meeting of the Association for the Advancement of Industrial Crops. October 14, 2013. Washington DC.
- “Advanced Hardwood Biofuel – Life cycle assessments of bio-jet fuel production” Advanced Hardwood Biofuels Northwest annual conference. September 11, 2013. Corvalis, OR.
- “Flying high or becoming grounded? Biojet fuel from poplar trees” Townhall Seattle. March 20, 2013. Seattle, WA.
- “Life Cycle Assessment of Poplar Feedstock to Drop-in Fuels” Advanced Hardwood Biofuels Northwest Annual Conference. September 11, 2012. Boardman, OR
- “Life Cycle Assessment for the Production of Bioethanol from Willow Biomass Crops via Biochemical Conversion” Washington Pulp and Paper Foundation 2012 Annual Conference, Seattle, WA. May 24, 2012.